Hey all got a new car and before I start I may just get it replaced but anyway my car had a cambelt ( 2.0 Vw in 2005 @ 90k but now has only done 126k I've read that they need to be done every 4 years or 80k just thinking whether the years really make a different, I mean I know they stretch but do all of you go by years??

Milage or age whichever comes 1st.

I personlly would not exceed the timescale or the milage the manufacturer has recomended especially if you have an interferacnce engine meaning the pistons will hit the valves if the belt was to snap.

Edited by H_D

If it was my own car. Id do it by mileage not years.

I've dont many an engine rebuild on cars with snapped belts but they always snapped due to mileage rather than age.

Best thing to do???

Take off your timing belt cover have a look at the belt and see what kind of condition its in its very easy to tell if 1 needs replaced.

There is no set time where IT MUST be done. You could require a timing belt 6 months and 10k miles after just having it replaced it takes into account lots and lots of different factors mate.

Its a case of getting a new 1 when its needed its like any servicable item on a car replace it when it needs replaced.

The biggest indicator is looking at the side of the belt facing upward so the flat side.

Look for dullness in the belt where it may have dried out check if the branding and markings are still on it as these normally come off after a while.

Also small cracks, thats the 3 things that normally indicate the condition of a belt.

I can still see quite clearly the writing on the belt and see no cracks whatsoever so I may have saved myself a bit of money.

How can a belt degrade even of its behind a plastic cover even if it hang done the miles in which it would be due?

Cheers :)

Because time erodes most things buddy and heat speeds up any reaction so in there it has both.

Its like food or anything common sense rules over daft sell by dates. No one can say this will fail after exactly such and such a time its open to judgement.

Edited by StuDoc 72