MSD SCI (Sport Compact Ignition)

Hi there guy's

was wondering just got a nice mod from a friend of mine was looking for advice if it's ok and what does it do what or the goods and bads about it and if it is easy to install in my Glanza.

here is a picture of it.

msd114.jpg

in my older topics i put all the mods that my car has so you guys can get an idea of what i already have and if this ain't gonna bust something up or not.

Would this work with distributor ignition? May only be coil on plug.

Regardless I think there may be a considerable amount of work involved and anything that messes with your ignition is it risk of damaging the engine.

Saying that installed correctly with a good map on EMU or better It would be a good addition id reckon.

No. Im not 100% sure on whether it would even work with coil and distributor.

If it does then Im saying it would be far safer running it with piggy back or stand alone as you would want to have it mapped to be safe.

• 4 months later...

I finally had the chance to work on my car and do some upgrades and fine tuning fixing couple of things but i was wondering isn't there someone the forum who hasi already installed an msd component on there car and that they can share the info with us and or me, cause i tried to install it like it is basically but i'm still doubting about 1 or 2 of the wires.

Does anybody know how 2 install it on our cars, do you know something about it turbo Grant?

You having problems with the trigger pick up?

I was confused about the white wire but i was doing some research and i found this so i think i'm on the right path.

turbo_ignition_msd_wiring.jpg

Cause i have on that says put the "Red wire" to "Original Coil + wire" and nothing else so i was thinking what do i need to do with the "White wire" that is left.

and about the "Original Coil - wire"

But now i found this pic i think i have the solution for my problem.

Edited by Tha Dragon

Just got home went thru the wires connected them like it is showed on the picture but it doesn't start and as soon as I take them all off the car starts perfectly, now I'm really stuck with it can you guys give me some advice on what 2 do?

I have the MSD SCI with the msd blaster ss coil can you guys send me a wire diagram or some on how 2 connect the wires together so my car can start?

Thanks for the info,

isn't there anyone else that can help me out here really wanna use this the msd on my car.

So in your wire diagram it look the same enzo_e492901

i'm a noob in wire diagram but please help me out here

Edited by Tha Dragon

With standard glanza wiring in place you need to...

1. Remove the standard coil + wire and in it's place on the coil connect the MSD Orange wire.

2. Connect the MSD Red wire to the wire you took off the coil in step 1.

3. Remove the standard coil - wire and in it's place on the coil connect the MSD Black Wire.

4. Connect the MSD White wire to the wire you took off the coil in step 3.

5. Connect the thick MSD Red wire to the battery + terminal.

6. Connect the thick MSD Black wire to the battery - terminal.

Magnetic pickup wires are not used on the Starlet/Glanza (MSD Green and Violet wires)

Gavin

Thanks i did it the same way yesterday but i'm going to try it again to day, i'll try sending pictures so you can c what i did and i'll send a video so u can hear what my engine does, cause it try to start but when u hear it does it turns back off so i don't know what else to do right now but as soon as i get hoem i'll try it out.

If there is someone else that know another way or some else to do please let me know.

From what you say about it kind of starting then cutting out I know what the problem is.

You need an MSD tach adaptor to fool the igniter into thinking it's fired a coil so it sends the feedback signal back to the ECU. MSD part number 8910 or 8910EIS. If you get 8910EIS it can be wired both ways.

Wired like this. Once again the Magnetic pickup wires are not used on the Starlet/Glanza (MSD Green and Violet wires)

StarletMSDWithTachAdaptor_zps48fcd217.pn

Gavin

Connect it up like this...

With standard glanza wiring in place you need to...

1. Remove the standard coil + wire and in it's place on the coil connect the MSD Orange wire.

2. Connect the MSD Red wire to the wire you took off the coil in step 1.

3. Remove the standard coil - wire and in it's place on the coil connect the MSD Black Wire.

4. Connect the MSD White wire to the wire you took off the coil in step 3.

5. Connect the thick MSD Red wire to the battery + terminal.

6. Connect the thick MSD Black wire to the battery - terminal.

Magnetic pickup wires are not used on the Starlet/Glanza (MSD Green and Violet wires)

Gavin

Then don't touch the connections you have already made above and connect the following to them...

1. Connect the MSD Tach Adaptor Red wire with the MSD Ignition Red wire.

2. Connect the MSD Tach Adaptor White wire with the MSD Ignition White wire.

Then it should work.

Gavin

Ok thanks Gavin,

As soon as i'm home and gonna connect them back test it again and i'll look around for the "Tach Adapter" but i'll let you know as soon as i get it sorted out.

Thanks Gavin

Thanks UKstarletowners

Just had a look at wiring my msd 6a and blaster coil.

Now I'm aware as to the orange & black wires on the msd 6a go to the blaster coil. But in the info above i cannot make sense as to where to connect the white and red wire in the msd 6a as the Glanza doesn't use a coil so i haven't removed any wires in the loom to connect the red & white wires within the msd 6a?

So how are we ment to connect the white & red wire in the msd 6a the way that it says above connect to the original coil wire's?

I know we have a connection with 2 wires going to the original ignition amplifier on the bulk head.

Also there is a red & white wire in the wiring loom that connects to the distributor.