Antifreeze dilemma...

Not correct, anti-freeze does purely that, it allows the water to go below 0 degrees C. It does not increase the boiling point and does not increase the waters specific heat capacity. The only way of increasing the boiling point is by raising the pressure of the closed system. Race engines do not run anti-freeze because it affects the cooling capacity of the water, hence why a lot of people will tell you to run pure water when doing track days.

Anti-freeze is a component of most modern day (if not all) coolants. Coolants do increase the boil point.

I've also heard of using pure water on track days, but it has no lubrication properties, so water wetter and the like are used when glycol-based products are prohibited.

Anti-freeze is a component of most modern day (if not all) coolants. Coolants do increase the boil point.

I've also heard of using pure water on track days, but it has no lubrication properties, so water wetter and the like are used when glycol-based products are prohibited.

Yeah correct, it is used for modern day vehicles mainly as a corrosion inhibitor. Coolant does not increase the boiling point fact. They are more likely to actually decrease the boiling point, hence why most closed water systems operate above atmospheric pressure.

Why would you need any sort of lubrication properties in the engine water gallery? Theres nothing to lubricate other than the bare walls of the block and head.

Edited by AdamB

HAHA another anti freeze thread. ADAM B is right! It does sweet fuck all other than reduce the freezing point and slightly help prevent corrosion.

People need to stop thinking its soooo important. If we lived in a warmer climate you technically wouldn't need it.

I does NOT Lubricate. It does NOT increase performance or life of the car.

If you buy stuff at 3 quid and stuff at 30quid they will do the same job just 1 might last longer.

Just dont mix the colours are the can congele although im not sure if it still happens with modern stuff.

Rant over.

Edited by StuDoc 72

Yeah correct, it is used for modern day vehicles mainly as a corrosion inhibitor. Coolant does not increase the boiling point fact. They are more likely to actually decrease the boiling point, hence why most closed water systems operate above atmospheric pressure.

Why would you need any sort of lubrication properties in the engine water gallery? Theres nothing to lubricate other than the bare walls of the block and head.

Coolant does increase the boiling point. A 50:50 mixture of ethylene glycol with water will have a boiling point higher than pure water alone.

Adding ethylene glycol does lower the specific heat capicity I admit, I was incorrect there. But the boiling point does increase.

Increases in the pressure of the cooling system does have more of an effect that adding coolant I'll admit, but coolant has an effect nevertheless.

Lubrication properties I think help for things like the waterpump impellor and the like. Also keeps rubber seals etc in the cooling system in good knick.

Its not just a slight decrease in corrosion though is it? Given the brown rusty nature of water from I have worked on that have never seen coolant/antifeeze, it has an effect.

Edited by Mr. Chem

Sooo after all this, drain your coolant, flush it with water a bit to clear out the old blue coolant (turn heaters on as well)

Put in fresh mixed antifreeze/coolant of your choice and live happily ever after!

Edited by morgey