Fitting an fcd?

Has anyone got a print out etc of how to fit an fcd? And where is the best place to buy one? I have seen one on the starletgtturbo website and its £80 is that cheap or overpriced?

thats the price they sell brand new from traders.

EP91_HKS_FCD_Wiring_Diagram.jpg

Thanks for the diagram but it makes no sense to me! What is the box that has all the coloured arrows to it? Also where else do i get an fcd from apart from traders? I've looked on ebay and theres some at £11.99 but these seem too cheap!! am I right or will they do the job?

Oh dear! If you don't even know what that box is then maybe you need to do a bit more research or get a professional to fit the FCD for you.

However if you do wish to try yourself then its very simple to fit.

The box with the lines going into it is a diagram of the ecu plug, the blocks are the pins into the ecu where the wires go in, which you need to splice the fcd wires into. The coloured lines relate to the colours of the wires on an HKS FCD.

I would certainly not recommend you buying a cheap 12 quid one off ebay. If you buy one off a site trader then you know for sure that it will actual fit and work on your starlet, there are different types for various vehicles.

You should really do some more research into the subject though to be honest mate.:rolleyes:

As WallaceGlanza stated, sorry but if you couldnt figure out that the block in the diagram is the ECU plugs, then forget trying to do this youreself.

IF you decide to try it, do this.

open youre golove box up, there will be 3 screws holding the top of the glovebox to the dash, 1 screw at the bottom left and 1 screw in the bottom right.

Remove these and pull the glove box compartment out.Its held in with a clip at the top left.

When you have pulled the glovebox out a bit, get youre hand in behind it, and unplug the speaker.Throw the glovebox on the back seat.

You will see the ECU,

P6070165.jpg

Its the 3 white plugs that i have circled in red.

Unplug them from the back of the ECU and hold the plugs facing you (so youre looking into the pins)

Match the plugs up to the ones in the diagram counting how many pins there on on the plug, and diagram.

Then you have a choice of either soldering the FCD into the ECU loom, or attatching it via bullet connectors.

I'd much rather attatch a FCD via bullet connectors incase you want to take the FCD off and sell it, or sell the car.

Leave about 4 inches of wire from plug so it gives you a bit of wire to play with.

The rest is pretty straight forward.Cut the ecu loom, crimp on a female connector to each of the wires specified in the diagram.

Attatch male connectors to each of the FCD wires, and plug in.

I soldered mine into a harness extension, so i didnt touch the original loom.I suggest thats what you do too incase you make a f..k up of it.

And that £12.99 thing ? i wouldnt touch it if its that cheap.

HKS arent the only company to make them, JAM , GREDDY , TURBOSMART etc all make them.

Just make sure its an electronic type if you buy a turbosmart one.

Sorry, Dont mean to sound funny but i have only owned the car 2 weeks and dont know a thing about them as I have never owned one before. If some one has never seen that plug in there life then how are they supposed to know what it is?! I am very gratefull for the help in showing me what to do and this is the reason people come on forums like this, to save money and do it thereself by the help of others with more experience! Thanks for the pics and instructions on what to do I will be ordering an fcd this weekend.

Sorry, Dont mean to sound funny but i have only owned the car 2 weeks and dont know a thing about them as I have never owned one before. If some one has never seen that plug in there life then how are they supposed to know what it is?! I am very gratefull for the help in showing me what to do and this is the reason people come on forums like this, to save money and do it thereself by the help of others with more experience! Thanks for the pics and instructions on what to do I will be ordering an fcd this weekend.

No worrys bud.

We all have to start somewhere with a new car.Figuring out where parts are located etc.

When you have your fcd let us know and we will talk you through it if youre still not sure.

Its a simple job if you splice the right wires and set it properly.Also make sure you have the backing mods (fuel wise) . Dont just go fitting a fcd or you will be heading for a popped engine.

I have two photos for you. One is a pic of the box, and one is a pic of the wires coming out of the box and splicing into some other wires. The wires that come out of the box are Green, Whitre, Black and Blue if this helps?

SP_A0090_000.jpg

SP_A0088_000.jpg

Well as glanza_ragger says thats is an fcd variant so you don't need to worry about buying one now.

Its actually a JAM FCC (Fuell cut controller) by the way :rolleyes:

However you should now ensure that your fuelling is ok to be running at 1 bar, if you don't have any additional fuelling mods then you should get at least a rising rate fuel pressure regulator (rrfpr) and then a run on a rolling road to check the fuelling.:lol:

Well as glanza_ragger says thats is an fcd variant so you don't need to worry about buying one now.

Its actually a JAM FCC (Fuell cut controller) by the way :lol:

However you should now ensure that your fuelling is ok to be running at 1 bar, if you don't have any additional fuelling mods then you should get at least a rising rate fuel pressure regulator (rrfpr) and then a run on a rolling road to check the fuelling.:lol:

Bah fcc bcc fcd :rolleyes:

definately make sure youre fuelling spot on with that fitted matey.

Its a good feeling when you find hidden treasures like that huh

Good! Thats one item checked off my list then! Saved myself a bit of money there! I know it has an uprated fuel pump but I couldnt tell you what it was! The guy who I bought my car off said the boost was running at 1 bar but how can I tell for definate? Another problem is I have a greddy profec b spec 2 boost controller fitted to the car aswell and I have been having a tinkle with that today as somebody gave me a link for the instruction manual yesterday. I just cant seem to make any sense of it at all! I can get the car so that it doesnt overboost but then it feels slow! Boost is not consistant at all, up and down like a yo-yo! Is there any company around the yorkshire area where I can take it for them to set it up as to be fair I havnt got a clue! Also how can I be sure that the fueling is set up correctly?

As WallaceGlanza stated, sorry but if you couldnt figure out that the block in the diagram is the ECU plugs, then forget trying to do this youreself.

IF you decide to try it, do this.

open youre golove box up, there will be 3 screws holding the top of the glovebox to the dash, 1 screw at the bottom left and 1 screw in the bottom right.

Remove these and pull the glove box compartment out.Its held in with a clip at the top left.

When you have pulled the glovebox out a bit, get youre hand in behind it, and unplug the speaker.Throw the glovebox on the back seat.

You will see the ECU,

P6070165.jpg

Its the 3 white plugs that i have circled in red.

Unplug them from the back of the ECU and hold the plugs facing you (so youre looking into the pins)

Match the plugs up to the ones in the diagram counting how many pins there on on the plug, and diagram.

Then you have a choice of either soldering the FCD into the ECU loom, or attatching it via bullet connectors.

I'd much rather attatch a FCD via bullet connectors incase you want to take the FCD off and sell it, or sell the car.

Leave about 4 inches of wire from plug so it gives you a bit of wire to play with.

The rest is pretty straight forward.Cut the ecu loom, crimp on a female connector to each of the wires specified in the diagram.

Attatch male connectors to each of the FCD wires, and plug in.

I soldered mine into a harness extension, so i didnt touch the original loom.I suggest thats what you do too incase you make a f..k up of it.

And that £12.99 thing ? i wouldnt touch it if its that cheap.

HKS arent the only company to make them, JAM , GREDDY , TURBOSMART etc all make them.

Just make sure its an electronic type if you buy a turbosmart one.

sorry to hijack the post and wat not but thanks alot buddy!!!

have had my glanza for 5 months now and am definately getting a hks fcd now :rolleyes:

am payin no nugget to fit mine (i'm enough o a nugget lol)

thanks

Andy

LOL @ Bigfoot.

Every penny helps that you can save bud.

Just because it involves a bit of splicing some people get put off by the idea because it involves the ecu loom.

As long as youre SURE of the right wires, its a doddle.

@ Turbo , you said you dont know what boost its running...Does this mean you havent got a boost gauge fitted?

If you havent, i would make that a priority over fitting any other parts.With out a boost gauge you have no idea how the car is running.

It might only be boosting to 1/2bar or overboosting something crazy risking youre engine.

If you havent got a gauge yet, you can go into youre profec b settings, and turn the digital reading to bar, instead of psi.

Not the best thing to use to read boost, as the digits move around so fast but it will give you an idea.

The reason the boost is going up and down like a yo-yo is because you have youre set gain, and gain settings wrong.

Turn all the settings down to there lowest percentage, and find an open non public :rolleyes: stretch of road.

Also turn the limiter and warning modes OFF - but keep an eye on the boost pressure reading.when it gets near 1bar, let off the throttle.

I use the local industrial estate at night , its allways dead and the road leads no where.

with the SET @ 0

GAIN @ 0

START BOOST @ 0 make a start.

Turn the SET up 5% at a time, get full boost and keep an eye.

When the boost reaches youre desired level, make a start on the GAIN setting.

turn the GAIN up 5% at a time, giving it a drive on full boost after each time you apply it.

As soon as you see the boost spiking (going over the desired level) knock it down 1% or 2% untill its not spiking nor dropping off at higher rpms.

You want a consistent pressure, if the boost rises the more revs youre giving it, raise the gain level 5%.

When it goes over the desired pressure, drop it off a few percent.

START BOOST is the reaction time of the solenoid, the aim of this, is to set it as high as possible with out boost spiking.

Try and get the percentage as close to the SET percentage as possible, with out any spikes in pressure.

Just remember when altering the GAIN setting, it can raise the SET pressure by itself.So whilst youre playing with the GAIN, you may need to knock the SET (desired pressure) down a few knotches.

Thats the best i could describe how to adjust it bud, Limiter and Warning are simple.

When you have consistant boost pressure, with out spikes or drop offs, set youre warning level.

I used to run the boost on my profec at 0.85 bar , with the warning set 5% higher than the set level. and the limiter at 10% higher.

Just incase it spikes in cold nights, the limiter is there to drop pressure off automatically.

Glanza Ragger thanks for that, I am going to give that a go prob sometime tomorrow. I am trying to find a decent boost gauge at a low price at the min but im having no luck to be honest. I also need to order a piller mounted pod from starletgtturbo.com first before I get a guage. I think I already have my boost controller set on bar. The limiter is set on 0.95 that right? Is that in bar? I've been looking at the boost controller quite often recently as I have just switched the function on that flashes you your highest boost pressure when you let off the accelerator, Its been going upto 0.97 but sometimes overboosting when it hits that! I seriously need to look at setting this thing up as I know its going to do some damage I just relly feel like im getting nowhere as soon as I start!

How do I get the fueling sorted so I know its running correctly? Rolling Road tune?

No worrys Enzo.

If it says 0.95 thats probably bar yeah mate.Just check in the settings, follow the manual on the web to figure out how to check.

They take a while to get set right.

Best bet mate, is to take it to a rolling road yeah, they will hook up wideband,egt and ddet listening equipment to check its running right.Also tell you what % injector usage youre using and give you advice if somethings not quite right.Thats if there a decent place.Some shabby places will just give you a graph and thats pretty much it.

For now though bud, get a boost gauge , get it fitted and that will give you a better reading than the digital screen on the profec :rolleyes:

Thanks, Im gonna take it for a rolling raod tune next week, I have a used a place near me called well-lane turbo centre in the past for rolloing roads etc.. So I will gie them a call aswell. Do you rekon for a price they would set my profec up on the rolling road at the same time? Hopefully as then I know the fuelling is right, the boost is right and the read-out is pretty acurate and I am getting the full potential from the car.

Thanks, Im gonna take it for a rolling raod tune next week, I have a used a place near me called well-lane turbo centre in the past for rolloing roads etc.. So I will gie them a call aswell. Do you rekon for a price they would set my profec up on the rolling road at the same time? Hopefully as then I know the fuelling is right, the boost is right and the read-out is pretty acurate and I am getting the full potential from the car.

They will check the fuelling etc but to set the boost controller up , they might not use the rollers.

To put the turbo under pressure probably do it on a road.Thats what the tuners around my area do matey :rolleyes:

Just give them a bell and ask :lol: