Hi guys need a little technical help. I have a stiff gear change but only in gears 1 2 5 I've recently replace knackered gear linkage bushes with bearings and turned the chocolate block. It was stiff before but not this stiff. Any ideas other than lots of grease? The cables seemed loose enough the mechanism in car was free!

Checked them all this morning and all feels free so I greased it all even the gearbox side, felt fine so I think it may be the bearings not sitting straight on the selectors... I tried the gear change without being clipped on and it was OK so I'm guessing its related to cable to gearbox connection. Going to change gearbox oil to eliminate that side. But any more ideas wouldn't go amiss :-)

I haven't had a good look at it yet. I was thinking of going back to the rubber bushes if I can't get hold of polybushes. Would be interested to see if changing the amount of washes makes much difference.

I'm having the same problem after changing box a few months back.

Side to side is stiff, esp after a few days of car not moving, and it's hard to get reverse.

Was wondering what it might be.

I'll check it out later.

And what's the chocolate block, Do you mean the sugar cube under the linkage arm?

Anyone got a link for the poly ones??

Al.

:)

Yes. ugar cube lol oops. Mine seems a bit looser when I've driven a while as though its better warm! Mmm it seems less direct into gear too so I think I need to mess around and see what I find. Keep me updated if you figure yours out

Yes. ugar cube lol oops. Mine seems a bit looser when I've driven a while as though its better warm! Mmm it seems less direct into gear too so I think I need to mess around and see what I find. Keep me updated if you figure yours out

Ha. No probs mate. Mine's is the same once I'm driving a bit it's fine.

Will do, same goes for yourself.

:)

• 3 weeks later...

Update : small washer large washer then bearing all greased then small washer large and then small then pin. while off I took the forked pin that holds the cable housing off and rotated the gear cables 45degress in either direction,and then re fitted everything but didn't press the forked pins in as hard as possible just enough to hold them in place and the gearchange is spot on nice and smooth and free. Also tried changing gearbox oil which made a small bit of difference.

Edited by starbogt

Hey mate

Did you have any images of where you installed the washers and greased up ? I'm yet to sort out my issue of not being able to get into 5th and reverse, but it seems my selector won't go side to side, just to the left and only a tiny bit to the right which I think is to do with linkages.

Pics would be awesome!

Thanks