Lsd to final drive torque setting?

Recently purchased a fairly new Cusco Lsd from a levin 6 speed but the final drive is different to my 5 speed box so need to swap them over.

What are the correct torque settings and sequence if so?

Also can anyone explain what people mean when the say shimming up the lsd? And what affects does this have?

Cheers :)

The shimming thing is when u align the lsd with the final drive im sure. Use some kind of blue ink to make sure they meet dead centre from what i remember from college lol.

Could be wrong im sure someone will correct me if im wrong.

Edited by StuDoc 72

Shimming is when you adjust the preload of the bearing either side of the diff. By placing different thicknesess of shim between the gearbox casing and bearings.

Too much preload willl mean the diff bearings will be too tight and will result in excessive wear, and reduced lifespan, and in extreme cases seizure. Too little preload will result in the diff being too loose. Which will result in too much end float and the diff moving ariund inside the box.

Shimming is when you adjust the preload of the bearing either side of the diff. By placing different thicknesess of shim between the gearbox casing and bearings.

Too much preload willl mean the diff bearings will be too tight and will result in excessive wear, and reduced lifespan, and in extreme cases seizure. Too little preload will result in the diff being too loose. Which will result in too much end float and the diff moving ariund inside the box.

This is what i thought. How do you check the float in it? Can you use a feeler guage or something in the driveshaft holes or is there a correct technique?

And any idea on the torque settings guys?

This is what i thought. How do you check the float in it? Can you use a feeler guage or something in the driveshaft holes or is there a correct technique?

And any idea on the torque settings guys?

I think you check it with tht blue stuff I was talking about mate this is what I was getting it jus couldnt gather the right names we didnt spend much time on this subject.

Torque settings could be more difficult why not contact Mike @ TD or Ricky @ Race Tech im sure they will hav fitted a few?

You need a dial type torque bar. Basiccally you assemble the box with just the diff and its bearings inside no other gears inside, you torque the gearbox casing together, then with the use of a special adapter which you place throu were the driveshaft goes. You attach the torque bar to the adspter and then you try to rotate the diff and see how much torque it takes to roatate it.

I think you check it with tht blue stuff I was talking about mate this is what I was getting it jus couldnt gather the right names we didnt spend much time on this subject.

Torque settings could be more difficult why not contact Mike @ TD or Ricky @ Race Tech im sure they will hav fitted a few?

Might be a good idea! :)

You need a dial type torque bar. Basiccally you assemble the box with just the diff and its bearings inside no other gears inside, you torque the gearbox casing together, then with the use of a special adapter which you place throu were the driveshaft goes. You attach the torque bar to the adspter and then you try to rotate the diff and see how much torque it takes to roatate it.

Ahh i see, i can see some spare driveshaft cups coming out and some claw type oil filter removers :lol: