On the starlet rear arch there is the smallest and I mean smallest bubble just appearing on the edge of the arch (on the inside)

how can I stop it getting any bigger? Is paint enough or does it need treatment?

I just don't want any salt to get under it and spread. Its literally not noticable without really looking but don't want it to become noticable

You will find underneath the tiny bubble on the paint that the rust will be slightly worse underneath. Its all a case of just how bad.

The best way to solve this would be to use an angle grinder and slightly take it back to bare metal untill you have removed every spec of rust. Then key prime paint n laquer.

If it is worse you may have to apply a little bit of treatment to it but these arent expensive and are widely available.

The most effective way of stopping it coming back is to use a spot sandblaster. It will remove very little of the metal but gets deep into it to remove the corrosion. Or you can use rust converter stuff that like an acid that kills the corrosion and stops it then paint over the area. Grinding takes too much of the steel away for me on panels that are very thin to start with. One thing to be sure of is you get the treatment well into the joint of the two panels as thats were it will have started.

This is what I would use

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_storeId_10001_catalogId_10151_productId_179549_langId_-1_categoryId_165594

• 4 weeks later...

Be careful with underselling boys as you may seal some moisture in and it will rot from the inside out. If it were mine I would wax oil it as it acts as a barrier but will still allow damp out :).