To all 5E builders,

Today i was busy on my built and encountered after installing the turbo and intercooler the piping did not allign anymore. Investigating what to do next i encountered another thing as the oil filter cannot be remove anymore to due the ic hotpipe down.

But after looking furter i saw the the exhaust port are more angled down then a 4E head is.

Is this know by any of you 5E builders?

does anyone know how much degrees its angled down, if there is any info about it if there are benifits of it or only at big power noticible??

I use a full 5E-FHE head on my 89 4E-FTE block.

Also noticed the exhaust was different so has to be looked at it to.

The 5E head is the same as other E series engines. The problem comes that the 5E block is like 10mm taller to accomodate the extra stroke length so you will find the manifold/downpipe will not line up or sit correctly due to this height difference.

Could this be linked to the fact it's an EFHE head and not an EFE one?

I know the FHE heads are more aggressively tuned in terms of cams and ACIS intake but I'm not sure if the actual ports are different as part of this...?

Edited by uberphil88
  • 2 weeks later...

Got the same spec as before the rebuilt ct9 sized T, mani and downpipe. Same stock oil filter relocator.

The thing i noticed it from is:

The IC did not line up anymore, turbo first ic pipe has to bo rewelded to fit.

The oil filter cannot be removed anymore with the ic downpipe in front of it.

Exhaust doesnt line up anymore with the catback exhaust.

The decat almost hit the clutch vacuum vent 0,5mm inbetween.

And maybe more unforseen modification needed.

Its clearly to see but want to measure the downwards angles exhaust ports. If there is allot of difference.

But the manifold is already on and doesnt want to messup the exhast gasket. I guess its harder to measure it with the mani on...?

The engine was a 5EFHE from a Cynos and it came in a full manual conversion package. But its an NA transmission but the same size as a turbo gearbox (as turbo gearbox is larger then normal NA) Cannot find allot of info from those gearboxes.

But my best guess is that the transmission code is C153, if thats is so i got 4 short gear and the fift gear is almost the same as c52 turbo gearbox (top speed).

Me like this allot :)

But maybe possible to be LSD'd if not so already.

Its already on the the fitted engine, cant wait to try it tbh ;)