For those who don't know, E85 is ethanol fuel blend of 85% denatured ethanol and 15% gasoline. It has higher octane rating, better cooling properties and lower price, it will also lower CO2 emissions.

In Finland we have 26 stations selling this stuff and it's manufactured from bio-waste.

I didn't find much about this with search and I'm kinda interested of the conversion for Glanza. So have someone dealt with E85 recently, how is the car working and what did you change to run with E85?

First problem would be the fuel pump and stock injectors, as you will need ~30% richer mixture and stock injectors will max out? Would it be possible to get the mixture right with P&P ecu(JAM), fpr and bigger injectors or is standalone/piggyback needed?

There are a lot of rumours about corrosion and drying of seals, so to prevent this thread to become argy-bargy, chemically ethanol isn't more corrosive, but it has a high affinity for moisture and can absorb quite a bit of water. So moisture can cause issues, ethanol won't. High turnaround station, frequent oil changes and catch can should prevent moisture. Ethanol dries out natural rubber and attacks some plastics and Glanzas being late nineties spec, this shouldn't be a problem? Teflon, silicone and synthetic rubber are good materials to use.

All experiences/knowledge are higly welcome!

I would definatley be looking into some new injectors with a larger capactiy - likes of injector dynamics seem very popular for e85 users.

Also i would definatley be running a standalone system, it could probably be done on a piggyback (ie emu) and i wouldnt risk it with a p&P ecu.

Well, here in Germany the Starlet guys even say E10 is not suitable for the NA Starlet. They say for the Glanza even German "Super Plus" (98 Octane as opposed to the 95 of normal Super) is barely enough as in Japan the Octane rating is mostly at 100 Octane.

Well, after a short Wikipedia search I think this is bullshit, as E85 is colder burning and giving a higher octane rating. So in a turbocharged car with a bit of ignition timing change it should give a power advantage and properly tuned should even have the same MPG (with the drawback of not being able to use normal gasoline).

But if you are able to switch between at least two maps (I think they include ignition timing) you could have one for gasoline and one for E85. (I for myself would want to have 4 maps, high boost and low boost and both for each fuel type, for fuel economy and power)

Yeah, when 95E10 came available in here, Toyota stated that E10 is not suitable for Starlets and some other models. I think they just wanted to wash their hands off in case something happens. It's easier to deny something than take responsibility. I can also imagine customers complaining about faults thinking E10 caused them and alleging that Toyota gave permission to use E10.

If I already had the bigger injectors and piggyback/standalone, I would give E85 a try, but starting with a nearly stock setup and buying a fuel pump, injectors, maybe fuel lines, ECU and mapping is just too much money for flower smelling exhaust fumes ;-]

A lot of people over here tend to run a mix of normal pump fuel and E85. Don't know if they have to change their entire fuel system though, but might be something to look more into if you fancy running a blend of fuels.

Here in Sweden we also have E10 95. Runs fine on a NA starlet. And there is no leak yet.
When i get my engine in, I will map it for E10 95 up to 0.6 bar. Then you can always refuel, even if there is no E5 98.

Here in Sweden we also have E10 95. Runs fine on a NA starlet. And there is no leak yet.

When i get my engine in, I will map it for E10 95 up to 0.6 bar. Then you can always refuel, even if there is no E5 98.

95E10 should work fine, but you get better mileage with 98E5 or V-power. E85 is quite popular in Sweden, if I have understood right?