Jim's N/A ...Bottom end dead!...Epic new Toyota purchase!

Figured I'd start a build thread as it looks like I could be keeping this car for a while at the rate its going!

I recently nicely wrote off a MX5 and after a few RWD cars I didn't really want to be back in a fwd hatch
but annoyingly I've grown quite a liking to it, plus I could of done with a change anyway!

So after writing off the MX I needed to acquire a car asap and was primarly looking at traveling quite far
for a decent n/a but I then saw this about a hour a way...up for £300 with MOT and it drives, so figured I
better go for it! £270 and a trip to newcastle and back later I came home with it. It was (and still is, all be it
not so much) feeling rather sorry for itsself with 140k on the clock and a few exterior problems, but in all
honesty it drives smooth as can be really!

So some pictures of before I bought it:

starlet1.png

starlet2.png

Many blemishes on the exterior, no door handles, a huge oil covered engine and some very questionably working locks!

So far I've done a few things and I'm hoping to get it through another MOT soon enough but so far:

• Potentially fixed the oil leak (which wasn't exactly difficult, just some tightening up...)
  • Fixed the fact it had no outer door handles
  • Import plate on the front
  • Cut out the grill and put some mesh with a T sport badge stuck on
  • Clear indicators
  • Started debump stripping
  • Fitted random shitty k+n that came on the mx when I bought it

It currently sits like this (excuse the horrible quality photo taken from the front room window...)

01082013387.jpg

Future plans I'm not sure of other than the obvious exterior things (splitter/glanza rear bumper, spoiler/backbox etc) but that will be decided as I go along, see how long it is before I get bored of the power!

Edited by jimlols

Lovely bargain you've got there, should have kept the door strips as they look really tidy.

Aye quite happy with it considering the price, its just a bit weird buying wheels for more than I bought the car! :')

I'm not a fan of door strips in general tbh, though I could see why someone people wouldn't mind these ones

• 3 weeks later...

nice to see my spoiler going to good use! looks perfect!

The main problem been the paint is so much better on your spoiler than the paint on my car! Gonna have to get on the job of getting the car machine polished to bring the sparkle back!

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Played around sticking the MX5 alloys on today... Probably gonna keep them on for a good while; quite like them on this!

...Just need to get the tyres changed for the front two... so here's a picture with just the back on!

00431198-eb44-431e-aea8-f9887fc80fbe.jpg

MOT booked for wednesday, once its through that I can start spending some proper money on the car hopefully!

Spent today doing some prep type things for Malton big breakfast meet, ala new tyres on the alloys, new wipers, dewipering the rear/removing the third brake light/bump strips and getting the water jets working propelly again.

Just need to secure one of the side indicators and thats all the little things sorted for the MOT hopefullly.

If it doesn't cost me too much to keep it ont he road I have quite a few bigish plans for the next 6 months or so!

P.s

Toff, the only way that's happening is if you paint it ALL yourself!

Edit: Protip, MX5 daisys won't clear starlet front calipers. GG offsets; ordered some 5mm spacers

Edited by jimlols

Alloys on/Dewipered/3rd brake light gone/Cleaned!

Plenty of space with 5mm shims, just sits like a 4x4 at the front! hopefully it el drop down a bit once it settles after been jacked, springs the next bigish job though!

MOT tomorrow, get it through that hopefully then get on with removing the rest of the bump and badge shite as well as fixing the paint on the arches/bootlid once the weather dries up a bit!

IMG_20131015_1753441.jpg

IMG_20131015_1754191.jpg

Edited by jimlols
  • 4 weeks later...

So in relation to the last video, the starlet is possibly going to a friend to do something ridiculous with...and a epic new purchase has happened.

looks a bit.... (well almost exactly) like this ;)

Front2.jpg

£600; Pristine, rust free, standard. 80k miles, load of service history full years mot, 6 speed awesomeness.

Love them corollas would love one as a daily

What was the mileage on the starlet?

The starlet was on about 147k I think when it gave in, I'd topped the oil up on it a few times since getting it but not actually changed it... probably went for about the last 10 years like that looking at the state of previous ownerships!

It runs, its just knocking like fuck of course, hopefully gonna end up an epic car after a mates fettled with it as a track car for a while!

On another note seen your car about down the bottom of ormesby bank a few times I believe? Was looking well!