Mercedes CLK 220 CDI SPORT

Morning guys,

I'm thinking about getting one of these just after Christmas and wondered if anyone has had one and what they're like as I haven't driven one yet. Can they really return up to 40+ mpg? Looking at getting an auto and I'm guessing I can get one with the tiptronic gearbox?? Looking at getting one with around 75,000 miles on the clock.

Thanks,

Tom.

As a diesel I'd be very dissapointed if all I got was 40MPG.

Ive got a e92 BMW 320d msport. 180bhp and I still manage 55 on the motorway think i get about 46-47 combined.

Edited by StuDoc 72

Well to be honest mate I've only really just started looking and most of the adverts I've seen so far only say 40+ or some don't mention.. I would be expecting more than that but then again to be honest I don't do an incredible amount of miles, but would just prefer a diesel as would be cheaper to run and insure for me at the moment. Also like the look of the 330d m sports but think I'd like to have a merc first is all.

Thanks for your reply,

Tom.

Ah I see mate. It really depends what kind of mileage you do.

A diesel is only really justifiable if you do motorway miles. For driving in and about town doing 0-40mph you will get terrible mileage. Youd be farr better off with a small petrol engine.

As for insurance I would really double check that. Mine is only a 320d msport and still insurance group 17 or 18 its not cheap by any means. Try to avoid any Mercs between 1995-2006 as they went through a faze of cost cutting and the quality of the cars was awful.

Aaaaaahh right I suppose I'll have to have a look at a few then, and yeah not doing some many at the moment probably about 150m a week but when mrs is back at UNI I'll be doing an extra 120 per week, so probably be doing about 300m per week by September, I'll probably have the funds around February time so perhaps try and look for an 06 or 07 model.

And as for insurance I've had a couple of quotes back at £850 a year, 21 3 years no claims and car properly insured as far as I can see, not insured as anything else like some cars are these days. :p

Thanks,

Tom.

Yeah that should be alright, what sort of poke and torque do they have?? And any particular model you recommend or any problems they have??

Thanks,

Tom.

What cars the 320d? Mine is 180bhp its reasonable. I didnt buy it for speed but it shifts as neccessary. Its no starlet mind.

Faults: Check the alloys if buying 1 with 19" wheels. They are prone to cracking if they are fitted with runflats. Also listen to the engine there have been cases of timing chain failure. Listen for a ticking from the rear of the engine.

Apart from that they are superb. Mine is a 58 plate. and there are no rattles from the interior what so ever. Driving at 80mph is completely silent. The quality ooozes out of it.

Edited by StuDoc 72

I've got a 330ci at the moment but trading it in for a 123d coupe 2.0lt twin turbo 205bhp/300lbt in 3 weeks time, I've test drove a few now and its a pretty quick car for what it was !

Fuel is around 55-58 combined which is awesome imo for the speed of the thing

Did you compare any Merc's when you were looking for your Beemer?? Yeah a friend at work had a 330ci and it's awesome, haven't had a nice car personally yet but it does seem so comfortable, luxurious and fairly quick.

Thanks,

Tom.

I looked at the C class coupe but they werent nice untill 2011 and those cost a minimum of 20k and I wouldnt touch any before that as they are fugly and tacky inside. Thats the main problem with mercs you have to buy somthing relatively new as they went through that cost cutting period which meant their general styling inside and out. Aswell as the quality of the interior was really poor.

Also, would a 2.2 or a 2.7 litre diesel clk auto be as tunable (eg Ecu mapping) as say a 330d??

Thanks,

Tom.

I really wouldnt be able to tell you mate I'm not filled in on these but i can only assum tuning would be very costly. I'd get it mapped and leave it at that.

Aaaahhhh right, I must admit the next car I but will be the first of this nature as I've only had old clios and my starlet before, but as much as I want a merc I feel as though I should get a bm and get it mapped.. Although my last question mentioned tuning I wouldn't actually be interested in tuning it, although a map may be good for some more torque or mpg I wouldn't want anything else as its the comfort etc this time.

Thanks for all of your replies!

Tom.

For the budget you are buying in I would definately go for a BM as a good looking CLK in your budget would be high mileage. Anything older has the dual headlights rather than the individual quads and the duals are awful.

I just think you would get a better quality and better looking car with the BM. If you were spending 20k I'd say get the merc. You might get even more for your cash with a 1 series msport or even a Lexus of some sort.

Yeah, I reckon it's probably gonna be an 05 330d then as they look absolutely mint!!!! For the £6000ish I'll have to spend you just can't get a decent looking merc I don't think with not too many miles on. Perhaps in about 4-5 years time the good looking AMG's will drop in price.

Thanks for all your help lads!

Tom.