I knows its a highly debated subject but im curious :D

Where i live there is no high octance fuel, so ive been looking at additives off the shelf.

Anyone able to recommend one? I know fifth gear did a test on them, but the test was bullshit haha

Im just looking to raise the octane rating.

Would lead substitute do the job? Since i have no decat would it have any ill effects?

Cheers

They don't do nothing and won't raise the octane at all, its all marketing bullshit. The dilution rate has no effect on raising the octane at all, the fuel will only ever be at the octane you put in the tank.

the test was a bit nonsense though, the whole point of the additive is to "raise octane" but a higher octane in itself does not give more power, it allows you to tune for more power through higher boost and ignition advance

the test was a bit nonsense though, the whole point of the additive is to "raise octane" but a higher octane in itself does not give more power, it allows you to tune for more power through higher boost and ignition advance

Correct, but they don't raise the octane rating as much as they say, if at all. Remember if you have 35 litres of 95 RON, then add 1 litre of someting which is supposed to raise it 2 points to say 97 RON, the dilution rate is way in favour of 95 and that's what it stays at.

You need aftermarket management/remap to make the most of higher octane anyway to have more ignition lead.

Anyway RON ratings mean fuck all, it's the MON rating you need to be looking at.