What sensor/valve is this?? idling issues..

Basically my car has been idling strange since I've owned it and im trying to get down to the bottom of it by changing small bits like vac pipes, sensors etc ...It hunts and the revs fluctuate terribly. When driving and over running it jerks back and fore viciously sometimes forcing me to dip the clutch or changing down gear to get the revs higher. When cold it will rev to 2k and slowly drop.. Once the engine is hot it will still hunt but the revs will drop down to 500 RPM :unknw:

Also whats this valve? Its joined from the throttle body to the vac tank on the bulk head just beside the fuel filter and the wires going to it have broke...

IMG_0788.jpg

Any help would be greatly appreciated as this problem is just getting to me :(

Thanks

Well it's joined in between the vac tank and the throttle body/inlet. It's got two wires going to the sensor/valve which when touching the contacts doesn't do a thing :S confused!

Someone mentioned on another thread that this valve closes/opens as the engine warms up. Maybe it will let the extra fumes out of the canister and engine burns them.

Edited by JayJ

Jay made a good post about the carbon canister and how it works on TGTT

Thanks JayJ :) Just had a look on TGTT and its the VSV solenoid which the ECU controls for emissions. Ill check to see if theres power going to the wires tomorrow. Dont think there is though :/

Thanks JayJ :) Just had a look on TGTT and its the VSV solenoid which the ECU controls for emissions. Ill check to see if theres power going to the wires tomorrow. Dont think there is though :/

No problem, I think it shouldn't affect your idle though, but you can test it by taking the vac line off and then blocking the hole from mani. As AdamB said the problem could be your ICV.

Well i stripped the ICV by pulling the 4 metal tabs apart and cleaning the diaphragm and ports but when cleaning i noticed that the diaphragm spring (funny ninja throwing disc looking thing) was broke at one point where its held on to the seal. Its held on at 3 points on a good one. Does that make sense?