Theres a top end rattle when the engine is cold and ive been told its a worn shim, how much to replace these to get it sorted? Is it something i could do myself if the engine was on a stand?

Cheers

What pistons does it have? Wiseco and Ross have piston slap, Wossner's shouldn't have because they have more silicone content and can run a tighter clearence.

It is something you can do yourself, but it is a bit of a faff tbh.

Yea I would check the valve clearences.

You need a set of feeler blades to measure them. Can't remember the clearences off the top of my head but they are floating around somewhere.

Edited by AdamB

i just did mine while rebuilding the 5efte.... its a pain in the ass kinda as its a lot of measuring and re measuring but definitely not hard... the hardest part is really finding shims that are the correct clearence i had a few engines and had to find 16 from the set of 32 and it became a bit of a game... does this work no need 4 thou bigger/smaller...and repeat and repeat till its done

the clearences on the 5e are 6 thou and 12 thou for the exhaust and intake respectively not sure if the 4e is the same

Edited by rasslenny

Inlet valve clearance is 0.15-0.25mm

Exhaust valve clearance is 0.31-0.41mm.

You will need feeler gagues and a decent micrometer to set them right. If you need shims I have loads of them.

if he doesnt end up using them am i ok to give you a shout?