Car getting NO power. Jump leads caught on fire! HELP NEEDED!

Re-shelling my Glanza at the moment and have everything in. Engine and all interior.

As soon as I turn the key there is as if there is no battery in the car.

Not even the clock or radio will come on.

I tried changing ignition barrel and it made no difference.

I also changed ECU.

I changed the coil and ignitor.

I changed the connection on the alternator as the old one was melted.

I took off the earth/live (one that's bolted down) for the alternator and made sure there was a good connection.

I also took off the earth/live (one thats bolted down for the starter motor and made sure there was a good connection.

I also made sure the connection is on the starter properly.

I changed the battery as it was gone dead and now this one has gone dead aswell?

I was thinking it was the 100A alternator fuse but we changed that before we started and it looks ok now.

I looked behind the ignition barrel to see if any wiring was cut or anything but all that was there was the wiring for an old turbo timer. I plugged that out and plugged the original wiring back in.

Absolutely baffled at the moment.

I'm leaning towards ignition problem.

I checked all the earths and they're all perfect, put jump leads on then and nothing.

Went then to take them off and they nearly caught fire!!

As soon as I connect up a good charged battery there is a big spark and it goes dead after a few seconds.

Can anyone shed some light on this for me please.

Thanks.

Edited by jackkelly

Sounds like a dead short to me. Easy check is remove both terminals from the battery. Get a multimeter and set it to resistance. Put one probe on the positive and one on the negative. You should have little or no continuity. If you do have continuity start removing the terminals from the major power consumers first. Alternator, starter motor.

power---------- terminal --------- back of starter 10mm nut ---------------back of alternator 10mm nut

earth --------------- terminal ------------------ chassis just at side of battery tray 10mm bolt ---------- gearbox bracket 14mm bolt

thats for a gt

Edited by yaristurbo