No start... Immobilliser Issue?

Hello All,

Does anyone have experience with Cobra alarm/immobilisers?

My Starlet has one fitted... For some reason, this morning the car wouldn't start.

When I turn the key to ACC, I get all my accessories no problem, so I assume the battery is ok.

When I turn the key to Ignition, the car just goes dead, all the lights go off etc... As if it's being cut off completely.

If it was the starter motor, then I would still have power to everything else whilst the key was in the start position.

Do you think it sounds like an immobiliser issue which is stopping ignition?

Luckily I could jump in the wife's car to get to work, so I haven't had a full inspection yet, but I will when I get home.

Anyone had similar problems?

Thanks!

I get everything, like lights, stereo etc... So I thought that would mean the battery is ok... Unless it doesn't have enough power to turn the car over.

When I try to start the car, the stereo, lights etc go off and the car does nothing.

I will try to jump it later, as that will show if its the battery or not.

Sounds like it coud be the battery, once it goes off have you turned off the ignition and tried again, if so do you get the dash lights ect again, if so i doubt its the battery. Have you checked the battery in your alarm fob?

Chuck some jump leads on and try it, starter motors require a lot of amps to turn, your radio and dash lights require hardly anything.

I've got a different immobiliser but if i dont start the car within 30 secs of unlocking it it just engages and kills the starter signal, everything else stays on When this happens.

Sounds like it coud be the battery, once it goes off have you turned off the ignition and tried again, if so do you get the dash lights ect again, if so i doubt its the battery. Have you checked the battery in your alarm fob?

When I try again, all the lights come back on as normal... Battery in the alarm fob seems ok as it is also the central locking, which is working fine.

Im 90% sure its the battery easy way to find out get some jump leads and try jump starting it.

Takes alot more ampage to operate a starter motor than a radio lol.

Yep. I will try jump it when I get home tonight.

That is what I thought, it might not have enough power to start the car, as I realise it takes a lot more. (Although it isn't even trying to turn it over).

It could be the battery, but in my previous experience i would get a click when trying to turn the ignition and lights fade on dash not turn straight off, also after trying a few times the dash lights shouldnt come back on straight away as the battery wouldnt have enough power in it, try it first though and if its still not working just post up again and im sure someone will get to the bottom of it :thumbsup:

Chuck some jump leads on and try it, starter motors require a lot of amps to turn, your radio and dash lights require hardly anything.

I've got a different immobiliser but if i dont start the car within 30 secs of unlocking it it just engages and kills the starter signal, everything else stays on When this happens.

That is exactly what mine would do normally, it just kills the signal and I would have to push the button on the fob again, and as you say, everything else stays on.

But in this example, it switches everything off when I turn the key.

Thats exactly it, Id say your battery then.

try it with jump leads get it running and if youve got one put a multi meter across the battery it should read about 14v's when running as thats what the alternator charges it at iirc. If its less than that it may be your alternator thats not been charging the battery

Well it jumped straight away.... So it looks like it is the battery/alternator. I haven't got hold of a multimeter yet, so I can't work out for sure until I get that.

Cheers for the help!

Dont worry I'll be here all week.

Will be the battery packing it in in this little cold snap.

Well it's a mystery...

Battery was 12.5V with the car not running, and just over 14V with it running, so all is good! Car has started perfectly the last couple of times too.

So I haven't a clue why it didn't start the other day, but since it was jumped, it seems fine.

Random...

• 2 weeks later...