Dans NA screamer in downunder

Hi kids

My names Dan, I wreck Toyotas for a living, so it was only fitting that I create a vehicle to showcase some of my "talents"

This all started in February this year when my AE86 sporting a 4A-GZE decided to catch a cold and miss and splutter constantly, not being able to chase down the problem, and with my spare car on loan to my girlfriend (she's got a EP82 GT, engine was dead at the time) I bought a EP91 to run around in.

A boring Australian spec Starlet, no power anything, unpainted bumpers, not even hubcaps.

Looked like this, yes the stickers came with it.

th_IMG_1663.jpgth_IMG_1664.jpg

I find out my mates are going to the track, so it's off to yahoo auctions to bag some coilovers for track day, also got some 17s and new tyres as the 13 inch steelies weren't going to cut it. A quick strip of the rear half shed a few kilos, add a monster recaro knockoff seat with headbangers, and we are ready to go racing!

th_Image0142.jpgth_IMG_2306Medium.jpgth_IMG_2290.jpgth_dscf1828zj0.jpg

2 minutes flat around Winton. The slowest car down the straight, but I didn't do the slowest lap ;)

th_dsc0536uc9.jpg

We have a dyno day, 43.4 kw at the wheels.

th_4efedyno.jpg

Between April and August not much is done to the car, servicing, put fuel in, Glanza S dash, Paseo EL44 drivers seat, CD player. Nothing really extraordinary. But I've been collecting bits and scouring the internet about putting a 4A-GE into a E chassis, been done, but no-one wants to say exactly what needs to be done. There's a guy in New South Wales racing one in IPRA, but bored and stroked to 1.9 litres. I want one, so I'm on the Yahoo auctions again, buying bits and pieces for my conversion.

th_ep91-glanza-s.jpg

th_IMG_2746Medium.jpg

th_Image039Medium.jpg

th_IMG_2448.jpg

th_IMG_2437.jpg

Come August and I've collected enough stuff to put a 4A-GE 20v into the little Starlet, the last two weeks of 4E-FE power were spent mostly on limiter and flat changing :p

The Monday after I pull the motor out, my friends tell me they've organised another track day, in 6 weeks :)

th_IMG_3242.jpg

th_PICT0792.jpg

th_Image070.jpg

th_Image082.jpg

th_Image084.jpg

So for 5 weekends and one week off work is was building my car to make it back to the track with 5 mins to spare, really 5 mins, when I have more time I might write about it in vague detail.

I haven't taken pics of the completed engine bay, I didn't end up running open trumpets as the race shop was closed when I went to get some filter socks. I slashed 8 seconds off my previous best time, and only ran a handful of laps as the wheel bearing was already crying on the way to the track.

It's weird watching the tacho needle stop and hearing the revs continue to rise B)

truely amazing work man any more pics vids or any info you could share would be amazing work man

i know there is a man called tomykair that has done the conversion over there but what i dont get is why some people insit on all the secrecy about this conversion, i think its pointless, not on your behalf but other people i have spokent to about this. regardless soon it will be comon knowladge

if you can post up more pics id be greatfull :)

sorry for more questions but what coilovers are they?

and how have you found the 17s for racing, is there a specific reason you chose that size?

do you have any more suspension mods ?

Very Nice Work Dan.

And welcome to the site, its great to have you on here.

All you need is an external rev counter to watch those revs rise properly.

Can't wait to see more of this project.

Im not going 4AGE but Im defo staying n/a for now :)

Joz

Ahh, i see you've gone for the silvertop if i am not mistaken... Nice project you got there. I'm undergoing the blacktop 4age not long from now, was wondering where you got your trumpets from? I hear the 20v ones are different to the 16v ones...

Are you still trying to revive your AE86 or is this the new toy?

T

sorry for more questions but what coilovers are they?

and how have you found the 17s for racing, is there a specific reason you chose that size?

do you have any more suspension mods ?

They are Cusco Zero2's, they have about 65mm total travel, 5 damper settings, 6k front, 4k rear, they ride pretty good for a all out coilover. I'd like some bilstiens for daily duties, but thats more money....

I know a smaller size wheel is probably more fitting for a Starlet, but they were kinda cheap, and they look awesome.

They are Magline something or others in a 17 x 7 wearing Toyo T1-R in a 205/40/17, haven't really reached the limits of these yet as I haven't driven it too hard yet.

I'd like to lower it more but that will have to wait till I get a panhard rod.

I scored a EP82 front strut brace from a mates car that was rolled, have disc rear to go in too.

Ahh, i see you've gone for the silvertop if i am not mistaken... Nice project you got there. I'm undergoing the blacktop 4age not long from now, was wondering where you got your trumpets from? I hear the 20v ones are different to the 16v ones...

Are you still trying to revive your AE86 or is this the new toy?

T

It certainly is a silvertop engine, going by the year markings it's a late 93 with the updated intake manifold. I got a blacktop computer from yahoo, this allows me to run MAP rather than the AFM, good move for sound and space. I got the trumpets off yahoo too, really nice CNC machined things they are, were 22000 yen if i remember correctly.

AE86 will eventually be put back to standard so I can sell it to some drift monkey with big dreams for lots of money. Money will go towards a luxo barge with a tow kit so i can start the next stage of Starlet mods. Don't tell anyone but I'm thinking of throwing some boost at it and see what happens.

Pics from last track day

Me

th_IMG_0241Large.jpg

Ying my girlfriend in her GT, we converted it to manual after the last motor died from old age. All your basic mods, intake, exhaust, FC cooler.

th_IMG_0117Large.jpg

Thanks to Jase our camera man on the day for taking sooo many pics

Wow, big yahoo fan then eh lol. So i gather that you'll be keeping the starlet for a short while then, hope you still have it by JAE next year, it's a lil early to be talking about it, but it would be nice to meet everyone in person.

Everything seems be going well atm, keep it up and keep us posted mate. :)

T

Looks like you know what your doing mate with that conversion and the manual conversion on tehGT :D

Kudos to you :p

I plan on a conversion like that one day

Your a real inspiration and welcome to UKSC and enjoy your stay :p

Dont be afraid to share some knowledge and wisdom :D

• 8 months later...

It's been a hectic time over the past few months, lots of track days, got made redundent at the Toyota wreckers(breakers to you lot :() on the Thursday before Good Friday, hired by Mitsubishi Dandenong to be the pre delivery mechanic, I'm the last one to roadtest cars before a customer gets it. Exciting as that may sound, our dealership doesn't get evos :)

We had a dyno day (rolling road??) and my 20v just pipped the girlfriends Starlet GT, mine 82.9fwkw, hers got 81.2. Her car makes more torque all the way through, in a drag race I reckon she'd win.

th_Dans-Starlet-4age-20V-Dyno.jpg

Pics of me at the track, not really in any order except the last few

th_DSC00350.jpgth_IMG_5585Small.jpgth_DSC_0101.jpgth_DSC_0113.jpg

GT belongs to Ying, my girlfriend, she's currently only 2 secs slower than me around the track, but she runs semislicks (cheater)

th_IMG_0252Large.jpgth_IMG_0339Large.jpgth_IMG_0355Large.jpgth_IMG_0356Large.jpg

The pics with the HUGE wheels are around the end of summer, air temps were around the 36c degree mark, I had the track to myself after everyone packed up because of the heat. GO 4AGE!

th_IMG_0370Large.jpgth_IMG_0711Largecopy.jpgth_IMG_0712Largecopy.jpgth_IMG_0726Largecopy.jpg

So easy to drive, I let Ying have a steer after the turbo died on the GT after 2 laps. She spun in my car...... Did I mention that it's easy to drive haha

th_IMG_0727Largecopy.jpgth_IMG_0736Largecopy.jpgth_IMG_0738Largecopy.jpg

New wheels (to me, 145AUD bucks on fleabay) factory option for echos and yaris, 15x6 wearing bridgestone re001 in 195/50/15, faster than the 205/40/17 Toyo T1-R at half the price

th_DSCF0035.jpgth_DSCF0300.jpgth_DSCF0306.jpgth_DSCF9695.jpgth_DSCF9989.jpg

The latest track day it rained, check out the tyre flex on the damp circuit!

th_311751357_P6cAY-L.jpgth_IMG_3272.jpgth_IMG_3273.jpg

Development has stopped for now as we are saving to go Japan. But don't worry I'm still going to the track, someone has to get out there and school all the wannabes in their evos and m3s :p

http://youtube.com/watch?v=EcFB7j0IV2w

A few short flybys on the start finish straight

th_2086309142_7b9b10de5e_o.jpgth_Dansresized.jpgth_IMG_4500Medium.jpgth_IMG_4527.jpgth_bayshot-1.jpg

Forgot to put a engine bay shot in, plus some bonus ones of a Melbourne Starlet meet. Less than 20 GTs in Melbourne, and that green Glanza replica got written off a while back :)

And one where a mate was trying HDR photography.

• 3 months later...