a few starlet questions

Welcome to uksc.jpg Ash man.

I see you have just joined us recently.

Here are some answers to your questions Ash to the very best of my knowledge.

Q: first is the ecu remappable?

A: The standard ecu isnt remappable conventionally by you or me or a tuning place, it is self learning which meand that it can adjust itself depending on the driving conditions and how the car itself is driven but this is nowhere near capable enough to cater for such extensive modifications as adding a different turbo and drastically altering fuel and air ratios.

However you can get aftermarket ecu's that are standard 4efte ecus specially altered/reprogrammed by jap tuning companies to give more aggressive fueling and ignition maps as well as other utilities, how they do this is by using a modified base program where the base program/map is read and then re burnt onto the chip in the ecu with the new values in place, don't get this method confused with remapping. These can be expensive depending on the brand name, names to look out for are JAM, SARD, Mines etc. One thing to note is that they are more times than often not suited for your car as you will not know what setup exactly they have been reprogrammed for. I would personally avoid them unless you know what they have been programmed for.

There are two ways to go about ecu tuning, one is to go for a piggyback system and this alters the signals sent to your standard ecu. There are an abundance of functions and features that come with these as well as being customisable whilst some are more basic than others and some can be really close to a full EMS. When you see all that laptop tuning this is where it goes on, it is also the most affordable if you are looking to self tune or to get your car tuned in general. Names to look out for are Greddy Emanage Blue, Greddy Emanage Ultimate, Dastek Unichip, HKS FCONV, Apexi Power FC etc.

The other option is a standalone EMS (engine management system) that will totally replace your standard ecu and allow full control of your engine, fuelling, ignition/timing etc, it is also the most expensive option and requires professional setup and tuning but it allows you total control over your car's engine and everything that is used in order to run it. Names to look out for are Motec, Megasquirt, , HKS PF-CON etc

Q: What is the compression ratio?

A: The compression ratio of the standard 4efte engine is a low compression of 8:2:1.

Q: If i upgrade the turbo will i need to change the injectors?

A: If you upgrade the turbo it is best to also upgrade your fueling as well as your engine management to get the best possible results, shortcuts will only result in short term benefits and you will not be getting the full potential of your new setup. However if you are running the standard turbo there is no need to upgrade the injectors as they are more than adequate with the injector size a healthy 295cc. So the answer is that it would be a very good idea and beneficial as many people often do upgrade their injector size when upgrading to a larger or hybridised turbo, but never without some form of supporting fuel components and a way of managing that fuel with respective air ratios at the minimum as the changes you will be making are drastically different to what you car is used to running normally.

This is a lot to take in mate, but that is just the tip of the iceberg to get you started, I have given you general info there that I have taken in on my ep travels.

There are many members out there who are really knowledgeable on these subjects and Im sure they will be along to give you more info mate.

I will be self tuning myself in the near future so I thought I would share with you what I know mate.

You will need to gather as much info and research on this subject as possible. Luckily we have many experienced owners on here.

This is especially the case as you are new to the scene to ensure that you will get to know what you or a company will be doing to your car.

Don't be afraid to search on the net and check out some of those terms and brand names I mentioned, it is a good thing to use your initiative.

Enjoy the site and get some pics and specs of your Glanza soon as it would be nice to see it.

Joz