Best place to source an engine

Looking for an 4efte engine wont be this side of christmas, preferably a full engine and gearbox, ive seen a few companys on ebay who sell complete low mileage engines, would this be the best place to get one from???

Ul prob get a good engine and box on hear mate just keep an eye out over the next couple of months for people breaking and u might get lucky. 9 times out of 10 people who are selling an engine have maintained it too on here as its there hobby. :)

I would steer clear of ebay with companies selling "refurbed engines" you get allot of dodgy foreign companies claiming they have overhauled it when in fact they just spray the outside of the engine to make it look new, highly dodgy!!

I have bought a few from GTBitz, bit expensive but you get the whole engine, ancilleries, turbo the lot and you can see its all standard and not been messed around with.

Stick to the forums, UKSO, TGTT,

Also ALWAYS if possible see the engine running in the car, go for a spin in it, make sure its not blowing exhaust gasses out of the top breather when you rev it (sign of broken ringlands), check for oil leaks, really common to leak on the crank seals so look on the gearbox side and the crank pulley side, check for mayo under the oil cap (HG failure) and if you have one take a compression tester with you, you want 150psi from each cylinder or more and 4 pistons to be within 10% of each other.

Oh and athough obvious dont buy anything with knocking bottom end bearings! Can be an expensive repair.

Edited by Taggy

Gtbitz was who i was looking at, by the time i found a low mileage block and brought all auxillaries box. ect it would be nearing what they ask for a full setup, i flogged my engine 2 years ago for £600 with everything, biggest mistake i made. Ben have inboxed you