Engine overheat! Help! :/

Hello all!

It has been roughly 30 mins now I've been on the phone tying calm down my girlfriend who had broken down in her glanza v! I was wondering if someone could throw some suggestions at me as to what the problem is?

In the 3-4 months we have owned the car we have not had any type of overheating problem except the coolant problem we know about where as (I think) coolant may be leaking into the heater matrix causing it to fog up the windscreen every time the heat is applied!

As far as the engine temperature goes the other day we noticed that the car had low oil & coolant. We gave the car an oil change and topped up the coolant with some premixed stuff from a motorfactor.

Now the car is over hearing after putting in the correct amount of coolant? She has only driven 20 miles for this to do so? When the coolant was low we went all the way up to silverstone with no problems.

She is now claiming that the coolant looks muddy.... Can someone please dismiss my fears of a head gasket crack?!? :(

If anyone could give some advice we would be very grateful!! :)

The passenger side footwell is soaked so we got the RAC out and they said the heater core is leaking. I've researched and it seem like this may be the answer. Does anyone have a guide as to how to replace the heater matrix? I.e. taking out the dash. Thanks guys

its a dash out job, (you can always disconnect the pipes that go into the heater matrix from the engine bay and run no heater for now, it`ll be a bit cold though) my advice, take pictures of everything youve taken off and the position they were in, also dont break your heater control cables :p I changed mine myself, it was quite a task lol

shop around for a new heater matrix as theyre quite expensive from toyota, I think I paid around £70 for a new one from a lad on here a fair few years ago

I've done the bypass for now but I don't think I want to drive around for too long without warmth! I've contacted tuning developments and they have one for me. I'm just hoping it'll be in good condition but I'll ask them if I can return it if it doesn't work.

How long did it take to get the dash out? I'm thinking I'm gonna need a whole day :/

• 3 weeks later...