Newbie looking for advice on 1998 SR

Hey peeps, been after a nice starlet sr for a while, one has come up from this guy, http://www.ukstarletowners.com/topic/71983-1998-starlet-sr/

The car looks great but i am worried about the oil leak, says he suspects it is the crank case seal.

Is this a normal problem for starlets, anyone else had a similar problem and how did you fix it.

Will replacing the crank case seal be a big job and how much it may cost.

Really want this car but do not want to buy a turkey.

Cheers

Andy

:thumbsup:

Thanks for the welcome hope to have a nice starlet soon, it has just had the timing belt changed so why this was left out i am going to have to enquire about.

He says he tops up the oil every couple of months, the car i have at the mo drinks no oil whatsoever, so is it usual for the 4efe to burn a little oil?

A few of my old polo's leaked a little from the cam cover gasket but only a couple of drips a week, i just want to know if it is going to lead to an expensive repair as i will wait for the next one to come up.

Cheers

Andy

just been informed it is the crank seal pulley that is leaking.

Anyone know what it will need to fix it or if anyone else has had this happen and what was the remedy?

Could a simple bodge be ok for now and still provide me with a good few thousand happy miles and what would be the result of not getting this fixed, sorry for all the Q's but really want this SR.

Cheers

Andy

Welcome mate! My first SR pissed oil like a good'un and I just used to top it up every now and again. Did a good few thousand miles with it like this and it never missed a beat?

I'm guessing its freedomcores silver SR your looking at from your description? He was very passionate about his car and always seemed to be a genuine sort of guy. Good luck with the purchase dude :)

ive seen a few starlets leak from here its not uncommon if the timing belt has been done recentley thats not a problem get a good mechanic to whip the covers off and the belt off and the lower timing cog replace the seal refit the belt have a look at the water pump while your in that deep if been replaced if all good then refit belt as its fairly fresh fit all back together job done ,, usually take about and hour two hours to get it done