I've done the 5efe conversion in my sr but currently runnin on the 4e ecu, im thinking of fittin the 5e ecu to go with the engine but i think i might have problems getting the immobilizer programmed. does anyone know if the 5efe ecu will recognise the chip in my key? or has anyone else done this?

id like to get it chipped some time but not sure if id need the right ecu for the engine.

is it worth changin the ecu or wont it make any difference?

any help appreciated

rich

Here goes man...

As you know I have done the 5efe conversion in my EP91 same as you.

The engine wont run mate if u plug in the 5efe ecu, it starts then dies immediately after.

This is due to the factory immobiliser in the 4efe ecu working with the 4efe loom.

It doesnt seem to be compatible with the 5efe ecu due to this.

I went to a diagnostics place and they were known to reprogram toyota ecu's, so I went there and he checked it out.

Seems that the 5efe ecu can only be reset/reprogrammed by Toyota = very expensive.

I dont know if it is as simple as deactivating or bypassing the factory immob but that could be an option if you are dying to try a 5efe ecu.

Im also having thoughts about it, as I want a proper car alarm also and it will have its own immobiliser, hence no need for the factory one.

The 5efe actually runs pretty well with the 4efe ecu which is not surprising as they are both very similar engines with minor differences.

However as you know, the 5efe is a refreshing update to the ep91 and really makes a nice difference don't it, you don't have to rev as hard or drive as fast as the experience is naturally more torquier and the starlet moves much more strongly on the road and stably.

One concern I have is that the 5efe has a lower compression ratio of 9.4:1 compared the 4efe's 9:8:1.

I believe the actual fuel maps and timing are very similar, but there is no proof without proper evidence.

For me this is not a problem as I will be running a different engine management setup later on so I can fine tune whatever I want.

You'll have to ask someone else about the key chip thing, you may need to change the ignition barrel too possibly.

Hope this helps.

Joz

i cant see bypassin the immo bein easy but then like u said id have to get an alarm with its own immo or il be waking up 1 morning to no car, i cant imagine wha toyota would charge to reprogramme it.

if it aint gonna make no difference il just leave it how it is but id like to know if it would.

the only reason im askin is because id like to get the ecu chipped but not sure if id need the correct ecu to do it or if the 4e ecu could be chipped for the 5e engine due to the difference in compression ratio.

cheers anyway joz much appreciated

any 1 had there ecu chipped on a n/a or know a place that does them?

wouldnt it have to go to toyota to be programmed?

the cars i work on (kia lol) have to be programmed usin a diagnostics scan tool, and u cant use a key from 1 kia and programme it to another as each different model has its own colour key.

for example, an old shape kia rio has a green key, but the face lift model (using exactly the same engine) has a purple key, it is impossible to programme the purple key to the old shape rio because it just dont recognise the chip in the key, when u try to programme it, it says key is invalid.

im sure its gonna be the same for toyota? correct me if im wrong.

Sounds entering cheats on an a console! :D

lol push the accelerator 5 times an the brake 10 times turn the ignition off and back on, now uv got unlimited fuel and an extra 5 bhp

if u can find out tha would be great, i wouldnt mind programmin another key anyway as i only have 1 an il be fucked if i lose it.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Yes I have. Sportif immobiliser and igintion key transponder then get a new key cut same as your starlets orignal but use the chip from the sportif. I did this to a 99 Sr and a 97 sportif.

Hello Joz mate long time no speak. You seem to be ruling the roost on uksc these days. I've bought myself another paseo drop me a text for a meet sometime.

• 2 weeks later...

just to clarify take the 5efe ecu to a scrapyard and plug it into starlets etc til you find one that she starts and run int then buy the immobilser black box beside ECU and the black key transponder ring around the ignition barrel. You'll find the key transponder screwed to the top of the steering column.

You can try anything from 1993 onroads, I sold a set to a guy for his 1994 corolla, all interchangeable parts etc.

i am still running the 4e-fe engine, but with a 5e-fe ecu, which we bought for a laugh when i went to buy the paseo dials, the ecu just needs to reset, i was told that it needs to be disconnected for half an hour and then connected to the car it wants to go in (connect whilst the battery is disconnected), ive been running this ecu on my car for 2 weeks i think, seems to be running fine, just feels that theres a little more response when you hit the accelerator between 3,000-5,000 rpm. i was also told that the redline limiter was set at a lower point of 5,800 rpm, my car still goes down to the 6,200 rpm mark.