How 2: Correct Mileage On New Clocks

What do you do if you have bought a nice set of Paseo clocks to fit to your Sportif so you can see those lovely revs, or you have bought another set of Sportif clocks to replace a faulty set. Obviously the mileage is not going to be an exact match to that of your current clocks? To remain legal, you should roll forward or back the mileage on the new clocks before you install them. Here's a step by step guide on how to do this (Please note: SR clocks are different and this guide will not tell you how to adjust them as the odometer tumblers are different)

This guide is intended to help you make sure the mileage displayed in your car is correct and should not be used to doctor the mileage of your car for any other reason.

1. Remove the clear and the black plastic sections from the front of the clocks by pressing down the tabs on the top and bottom.

2. Remove the speedo needle by simply pulling it upward, it can be quite stiff.

3. Remove the two small black screws that hold on the face of the speedo. If you have not already managed to remove the needle, you can pull upwards on the face (*carefully*) and this should give you the extra force and leverage to 'pop' it off.

4. Undo the two gold and two silver screws on the back of the speedo and remove it from the cluster.

5. Looking down on to the speedo number barrels you will see two silver screws. Remove these.

6. You should now be able to carefully extricate the odometer section from the rest of the speedo.

7. If you only have a few thousand miles to add or remove you may at this stage wish to manually spin the worm gear (you could use a dremel with one of the small white polishing mops on to spin it).

8. For greater mileage alterations, the next step can be a little tricky. If you look on the end of the shaft nearest the 100,000s roller you will see a small external circlip. Use a small flat bladed screwdriver to press this off the groove in the shaft.

9. You can now slide each of the tumblers along the shaft so that they no longer interlock and rotate each one to the correct figure. Ensure that each tumbler meshes correctly with it's adjoining tumblers when you push them back together.

10. Once all digits are set correctly, you need to replace the small circlip, this is even trickier than removing it but again can be pressed into place in the groove on the shaft with a small flathead driver.

11. Slide the odo section carefully back into position in the speedo ensuring that all gears have meshed successfully and replace the two silver screws.

12. Place the speedo back in the cluster and secure with the two gold and two silver screws at the rear.

13. Replace the face and the two small black screws.

14. Press the needle gently back onto the shaft. It is unlikely that you will get it spot on zero (or just below). If you are slightly over, gently rotate the needle back against it's stopping point and you will feel it move. Allow it to come to rest and check position. If it is slightly under, rotate the needle right around the face to the opposite stop and apply slight pressure to spin the needle on the shaft. A bit of trial and error and you'll get it where you want it.

15. Replace the clear and black plastic sections and bobs your uncle :p

I hope you all find this useful.

I'm happy to do this for you if you are willing to send me your clocks and pay for the return postage. Simply picture message me a photo of the mileage on your current clocks after you send the new ones out and I'll set it spot on for you.

Thanks

Chris