anyone running water/methanol injection?

Ive been looking at ways to make more power without putting any more strain on my old ass engine, and have gotten into the idea of fitting a water methanol kit. I was wondering if anyone on here actually runs one and could give an insight into the difference they make and whatnot?

I think there is one or two people around running it, think it's more of the hassle to set up that people don't use it.

@Adamb is the man to ask

doesnt seem too difficult to set up, looks easier to set up than dry nitrous systems that people here and there use. ill ask adamb, cheers.

It depends what kit you want to buy mate really as some can be quite expensive. Its just used to cool the intake air charge so that more ignition advance can be added, or if your running your turbo out if its efficiency range then you can use it to gain more efficency. Also you have have the decision of where to place the jet or run multiple jets.

It can end up getting quite expensive tbh, and you really need aftermarket management to make the most of it, otherwise you won't really gain much power at all just a bit of a safety factor.

I got an old cheapo kit sat here that I used on an engine a few years ago, trouble I had was that the jet kept blocking up even when using distilled water so they can become a pain in the ass as well.

Cheers for putting my name out there Az :)

Edited by AdamB

Oh cool, cheers for the reply Adamb. i see, i was just looking for low stress ways of making more power, if you need to upgrade your management or be running massive boost to see any real difference ii wont bother with it, cheers :)

I wouldn't say you need to run big boost but the idea behind it is that the cooler the charge the more power and this comes about by increasing the ignition advance which needs some form of management.

Preferably the way I would have it set up is that when a target boost pressure is reached it would activate the injection. Sadly this can be quite a costly way of doing it.

What's your setup now and how many miles it done? I know it sounds silly but having a larger turbo actually puts less stress on the engine because it's more efficient and therefore the intake charge is cooler.

Edited by AdamB

i have a fmic, freshly rebuilt ported ct9, decat zorst (still got precat), adjustable wastegate actuator set to 10.5 ish psi, and thats about it. its done a smidgeon under 100000 miles and makes about 165/170 psi across all four pistons. i want a bit more power without more strain, i want to have it as a daily for years to come. been looking around for a 5e block to help with a larger displacement.

100k is nothing really, you got good compression but something more accurate to do would be a leakdown test. I don't see no reason why you couldn't run a td04 if you wanted to.

I got a 5E complete engine with head etc Sat here it your interested mate, drop me a pm might be able to work something out :)