What Brakes Do You Guys Have?

Marc wants efficient braking for an eventual 190+bhp.

He want to know if uprated discs (20groove) uprated pads, lines and dot 5.1 are gonna be good enough for that.

The other option is twin pots (ae111, ae101) but he doesnt like the effort/cost involved in sourcing the parts, longer wheel studs, resized rotors etc, want its outta the box.

I told him it would be very worth it to go for the twinpots for a better (+ more powerful) solution, to match the performance. The uprated route is very good and sufficient but you can do much better i.e the twinpots being an upgrade I would class as stage 2 braking, the latter being stage 1.

Joz

grooved discs will wear your pads quicker...that is it. People must understand it's a placebo effect - when adding more power, "Oh wait, FAIL! I need to upgrade my braking or I will get pwnt"...who's to say the stock braking system is crap? The pedal is muchy, offers some respectable feel, retardation isn't great, but overall, more than adequate for the car.

Bigger Calipers, Bigger/Thicker discs etc...are only needed in a situation where you need to bleed off the excess heat and you need the extra pad pressure...and to be honest, if you're driving in a way where you meet that situation on a public road, you must get your licence revoked. That's not to say they're useless modifications to make, but people just seem think "ah, bigger calipers, bang, the job is done". No, Braided Lines, DOT 5.1 Brake Fluid, Uprated Pads and probably a Cusco BMCS are MORE than enough for 90% of people's needs. Don't get big brakes for the kudos, rather get what's suited to you....it's like Getting slicks for the road...people will say "cause they're grippier", yeah, but you're not on a racetrack...

I previously had the smaller 230ish mm discs on my EP91, totally fried them at a track day, had to go slow every second lap to let the brakes catch up. The discs turned blue and they didn't have any of the initial bite they used to have on the street. Even after a few weeks of regular commuting didn't improve inital bite.

I then put in the turbo sized rotors 250ish mm and calipers with some street/track BLAKE pads I got from yahoo auctions, next track day I could stop as much as I liked till the tyres went all gooey :( Still had to do cool down laps!!

Although pad fade isn't an issue anymore, the discs have still gone a nice shade of blue, maybe suggesting that I need more airflow.

The 250s will make way for a set of ST184 brakes, 274mm, minimum 15 inch wheels. And a GT rear setup to go in the rear, just because the rear drums look a bit pov. Only need a spacer to centre the disc in the caliper, and drill 3 holes in the disc. I'll put a larger master cylinder in while I'm upgrading.

I use the uprated option and for me its not good enough when braking down from higher speeds or upon corner entering.

3g 10 Groove, mintex 1144 pads, braided lines, Dot 5.1, cusco bmcs.

Hence Im switching to twin pots for that 'extra' assurance and braking control on tap.

Joz

I run stock discs on the rear with Sard race pads and 275mm grooved discs on the front with Outlaw 4pot calipers and Endless Type RA pads, braided lines throughout and racing brake fluid 5.1....oh and a Cusco BMCS.

To be honest it's overkill for the car, the way it's currently set up...as you can imagine, the brakes need to see some work before they heat up so are quite spongy to begin with. Once they're heated up or applied in anger the car does an endo (no ABS either)...but normal application of the slow pedal gives me quite a progressive slow down with good pedal feel and travel :(

pics

IMG_0644.jpg

P1030266.jpg

P1030283.jpg