thermostat playing games...

So I changed a thermostat on the weekend as it was fubbard...

I tried a used one I had laying about just to get me some heat (5am starts are cold)

The cars heat went above halfway bottom hose and bottom of rad ICE cold. Top boiling...

Cut the centre out of an old one and hoses and rad heated up instantly car runs cool of course but fine.

New stat came today from local motor factors it looks different but fits the hole (pics in a thread in lifestyle general section) once it was in it done the same as the previous one I tried.

Boiled both kettle water they open slightly on the gas hob they open up further...

Heaters have been warm throughout... I'm pretty damn sure I've been bleeding it as I should and I've tried everything I can think off.

Have blocked the expansion tank

Changed the civic rad cap to oem

Dropped some coolant from rad drain

All the above and more made no difference.

When I take the stat out one side of it's hot the other is freezing cold...

Any ideas or pointers? Will sort order another thermostat tomorrow if possible.

Losing nothing... It works fine with the stat cut out (acting as a seal) and had no problems before now just changed the stat while I was changing over to a civic rad.

I would imagine the pump would leak and id get no flow with the open stat and overheating constantly. So I think it's not the pump

pumps dont always have to leak, the internal propeller fins corrode and wear away, the toyota coolant is strong stuff. only way to check is to take it off and have a look at the fins. Im not saying thats exactly what it is, just something to think about. If the stat was cut out and the pump blades are worn it probably would work better as the water isnt being pressurized enough to open the stat.