Just want some advice

I know alot of this has probably been covered before but im finding it difficult to piece it all together, this is my first boosted car so im still wrapping my head around it all, anyway here's what im thinking:

I think the car is standard other than the Exhaust but Im getting a large amount of Lag, i can hear the turbo start to spool quite early on in the revs but it feels like the car only really gets going after 4000 RPM, before that theres nothing out of the ordinary and after its like cat with its tail on fire. from what i can gather this could be either a boost leak, failing actuator or wastegate maby?

also a friend from college was driving behind me and he said when I boot it, there's a puff of smoke from the exhaust and it smells like Petrol. im thinking this could be the new exhaust throwing off the ECU perhaps? but im not too sure, from what ive seen alot of turbo cars run a bit rich.

other than that, car seems fine, no odd noises, no warning lights, nothing.

I have been thinking that it might be a good idea to see if i can get hold of a decent CT9 and just replace it, that would eliminate the possibly knackered actuator and Wastegate and just not have to worry about the turbo for a while, would this be plausible? is there somewhere i can get a standard CT9 second hand or new for a good price? not looking to upgrade just yet, maby later on.

Any advice would be much appreciated!