Budget Suspension Recomendations

Hi folks!

a newbie looking for some help frown.gif

I purchased my first Glanza at the weekend but im really unhappy about the way it handles.

It looks like its on stock suspension with lowering springs. its so soft and bouncy, the back end twitches like mad as soon as you hit a bad bit on the road.mad.gif

Ive had a look on the Camskill website and came across these....

KYB Shocks, will these firm the ride up??

http://www.camskill.co.uk/products.p...19b0s1311p7071

or should i go for a slightly more expensive set?

Koni's - i take it the springs i have will fit these inserts??

http://www.camskill.co.uk/products.p...19b0s1311p4273

Thanks for your advice rockon.gif

Welcome to UKSC mate.

Our Technical Information Archive has lots of valuable information on suspension and chassis mods, setups etc >Suspension & Chassis Archive

The ones from Camskill are only slightly uprated from standard units and would not really serve as a good upgrade, they are not proper performance shocks.

As for the Koni Suspension they are damping adjustable but not ride height, only coilovers can do that or air suspension which is not needed.

The Konis also require some work with the inserts rather than a straight switch of top mounts, however they are very good for the road and not as hard/harsh as coilovers can be. Coilovers can be pushed to the limit more but are more expensive and not many people justify them unless they want excellent handling at the expense of comfort. With the starlet you want more confident cornering ability as out of the box its nothing to write home about.

There is a lot of info in there, please check it out thoroughly as many of your questions have been covered before. There is no right or wrong answer as to which setup to go for, everyone will have different opinions. I have concentrated almost solely on suspension and braking for my EP91 and the results are satisfying. Do some more research before you part with your hard earned cash.

Feel free to ask again if you are still stuck.

Hope this helps.

Joz

hi mate

i have a koni adjustable shocks on tein springs and it makes a massive difference to handling over stock

my car was very indecisive about where it was going on the road before these mods.

also if you can afford it then i believe that the whiteline anti lift kit also makes a noticable difference for little money. this i can't vouch for yet but thats my mod for after xmas after my service..

also a adjustable panhard rod is advised if your lowering it because it will help with the back end, bringing it back in line.

an answer to your question on recomending a cheap suspension package

a rear anti roll bar £!00

an anti lift kit £50

some springs from rsr, whiteline, or tein,

check toy tuning for these parts ans they are the best id recomend

if your going for whiteline or tein springs it would be a good idea to invest in some uprated shox aswell

the cheapest way like some people have said is some anti-roll bars, and a front and rear strut, when si put on on his sr it made loads of difference and got rid of quite a lot of understeer :D

Rob

Thanks for the info folks!!

I found out the cause of my boat like handling :)

Got my car on the ramp, and as it turned out - rear shocks had leaked all fluid and there was a broken spring!!!!

I went for the KYB gas shockers and TRD lowered springs. Cost £400 and feel very good, not harsh at all. Car drives the way it should do now :(

AVO now do replacement shocks for the starlet, just ordered some so will let you know how they go. Had them in a Nova before, absolutely awesome handling, very reliable, and excellent customer service (they replaced a bent one after a little bump for next to nothing). Even better, I think they are British made?

Been running Konis for about five years now, they don't seem to last long before they go all po-goey. Fronts have been replaced twice, and they ain't that cheap. Nasty tendancy to kangaroo hop on really bumpy roads :)

There was a guy from NZ selling D2's cheap recently... £430ish Worth a look

• 4 weeks later...

hey gus its a good point to start your own thred instead of askin on other peoples

if youcan get a minutie introduce yourself to the rest of the crew that way your posts will get noticed

welcome to uksc bud