Hi all,

I'm having issues with trying put my car in 4th gear and reverse. The car is also very hard to put in 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 5th and even in neutral the shifter doesn't have much movement. In 4th and reverse the car simply will not go in to gear even by pulling it using a lot of force.

I decided to replace my short shifter with a standard shifter and this didn't make any change at all. So I then decided to change the gear linkages and I found that the right side linkage wasn't in the best condition. This has also made no difference at all, I'm also pretty sure that the car goes in to 4th when I manually select the gears from the gearbox.

Could anyone give me anything else to try before I decide to strip the car because I've not had any luck with the car at all and it's really annoying me now.

Thank you

Aamir

Dont strip the car mate.. change the box or get the one have rebuilt..

I have spent so much money on it and I just can't justify spending another penny on it as I can just break it and get myself out the modified car scene and focus on my education

Aamir

Understand how your feeln mate, i.d try the box if i were you. Could be a turning point :-)

Eamonn

Thanks mate, Seab said he will pop down next week to have a look at it so hopefully we can get to the bottom of this!

Aamir

We will buddy just remind me on Tuesday or I will forget as I've a mind like a sieve.

Thanks for the help mate I really appreciated it :)

il have a look if you give me parts in exchange lol

Haha, my gearbox is no good and I don't mind replacing it now that we have a ramp :D

On that note, I've been driving the car around and I've still had no joy. It's much easier to put in 1st, 2nd, 3rd and now I even have reverse! However, I have no 4th or 5th so I'm guessing I'll need a new gearbox. Didn't really want to have to end up replacing it but oh well.

Aamir

Did you lube up that top section like we talked about dude?

Yeah I tried that, didn't seem to make much of a difference. Today I found 5th gear lol, but still no 4th :(

Aamir

Could try taking the selector assembly out of the box (4 bolts on the end and the detent on the top) and make sure nothing is bent inside? Had a couple of customers with gear change issues and this was the problem.

You sure its not your clutch slave or a faulty pressure plate?

It's got a brand new clutch slave cylinder on it so that can't be the problem and the pressure plate looked in correct working order when we removed the box from the engine before we put it in my car. The problem is nothing clutch related, it's something to do with the box because it goes in to all the other gears fine it's just 4th. It won't go in at all.

Could try taking the selector assembly out of the box (4 bolts on the end and the detent on the top) and make sure nothing is bent inside? Had a couple of customers with gear change issues and this was the problem.

I've been thinking about removing it, but I'm not sure what to expect when i take it out. Seab said there might be bearings in there and I didn't want to loose them so I've just left it for the time being. I'll have a look how much they cost brand new and if the prices are reasonable I'll change it, if not I'll just replace the gearbox. I'm on the hunt for OEM LSD with shafts if anyone can help :)

Aamir

It's got a brand new clutch slave cylinder on it so that can't be the problem and the pressure plate looked in correct working order when we removed the box from the engine before we put it in my car. The problem is nothing clutch related, it's something to do with the box because it goes in to all the other gears fine it's just 4th. It won't go in at all.

I've been thinking about removing it, but I'm not sure what to expect when i take it out. Seab said there might be bearings in there and I didn't want to loose them so I've just left it for the time being. I'll have a look how much they cost brand new and if the prices are reasonable I'll change it, if not I'll just replace the gearbox. I'm on the hunt for OEM LSD with shafts if anyone can help :)

Aamir

If someone else on here has had that section out and can confirm bits wont go pinging everywhere I am happy to pop up to Aamir and take it out with him and inspect, I suspect something in there is dry, or binding.