to be honest the engines are essentialy the same,

the extra power comes from a different map, from memory they only make 85 ps please correct me if im wrong

and if thats the case i think thats down to the high 102 ron octain fual

if i were you id look into repliacting the 4efe found in the earlier ep82 starlet gi and solail with 100 ps

• 3 weeks later...

Hi guys,

as i am after more hp out of my 4E-FE i am trying to find as much info as possible.

Now as i found out the 100HP 4E-FE is out an an certain type of ep82.

The Glanza S has 100hp or 85 hp? because i am confused now :)

I got the rolla manifold installed and have a Glanza S ECU and injectors that i will be installing soon.

First gotta figure out if the pinout of the S ECU and my starlet ECU is the same.

But Enzo you saying that my ECU is 3 plugs... i will be digging for my ECU this weekend.

That would be a prob than..

Anyway i am ranting!

Just wanna know how to get thos 100HP out of my 4E-FE, so any info is welcome!

no its a misconseption, the glanza s only has 85ps like the rest of the jdm range at the time,

to get 100ps out of your ep the simple way would be some aftermarket fual management throttle body and a thiner gasket, but when your tinkering that way for less of an outlay you could just plug in a 5efe, with more torque and the same 100ps power for less of an outlay

The Euro/UK 5E-FE is 89bhp Geo I've stressed that many times :). You wont get 100ps from one.

Only early distributor USDM 5E-FE (91-95) are 100bhp as standard.

To be honest I dont think the extra glanza S components will make much difference, first you need to get the Glanza ecu working, then it would still have been mapped for Jap fuel. To noticed the difference truthfully you would need to get it rolling roaded before and after, it doesnt seem worth all the bother for insecure gains. I'd go for a 5efe/5efhe transplant if you want to stay n/a or go FTE when you can afford it. The potential is there with the 4E-FTE and altho common is one of the very reasons people love and look after their starlets as the performance is there for what the engine is as well as the car.

Just my own opinion, nothing more, nothing less. If anyone gets the gains they are after with the Glanza S components I'd be happy for them however there are other ways to make the 4efe more drivable as it is such a simple economy twin cam engine. If you are after performance then I'd transplant a performance engine. Im only running my 5efe temporarily... There is a misconception to tuning the 4efe as not a lot can be done to it unless you invest in it internally. You can make it more drivable by adding the corolla manifold and a decent cold air induction kit with decent air feed.

From personal experience full exhaust system doesnt do an awful lot and the gains would be minimal, upgrade to 2" and you may still lose some torque. Also you usually only see your highest bhp at higher revs of full throttle e.g after 4k rpm or similar, so the general drive below that would be so so. So don't think that 100bhp will happen all the way through your journey because it wont. With my setup I have to wait until 4k in mine for the car to liven up. Its decent and probably the best I will ever see out of my n/a but I thirst for better things.

@Kev - The bigger injectors wont help as the standard ones probably aren't even maxing out, it would make things worse, extra fueling is only needed if you have mods that need it i.e bigger turbo etc. TRD 0.5mm or 0.6mm headgasket would help to raise compression ever so slightly, it hasnt been done yet on here, I have one in storage. The glanza TB needs slight modification to get it working, I would go for a 4AFE or 7AFE upgrade if you are really looking to go up a size.

Joz

great, honest and helpfull info Joz thanks mate!

a guy i know did a rolling road with and without the rolla intake mani, magnecor ignition cables and iridium sparkplugs and got from 75hp to 87hp.

the guy doing the rr told him that above 4.500 revs it was running kinda lean and that it could have done better.

ow and my ECU has 2 plugs just as the Glanza S ECU instead of 3 as stated by some people here. could be UK specific?

and ye ive been thinking of a 5E-FE transplant. For this car i am not looking for crazy HP just some more than it's in now.

Glad I was of some help Kev :)

There is always a trade off with modifications, i.e change the inlet manifold and it makes the car run less top end.

The 5EFE is the cheapest upgrade of them all, with this comes the lowest gain of them all (15bhp) (10ft tq) from an engine change as its basically the same engine with a taller block that adds the extra displacement (1331cc/1497cc), its a drop out/drop in affair bar 2 sensors that need switching and you retain your 4EFE tb.

Im all for n/a tuning the E-Series engines but deep down I think the one we all want is forced induction. It (n/a) does keep insurance down and there is less to go wrong, and safer too however lol.

Keep your options open and keep researching, there will be other n/a tuners about who can give you pointers. I've taken mine as far as I can go really without adding FHE internals, heck I've even added TRD engine mounts and an engine damper. Im just really happy to have a solid base for the next transplant...

Keep up the good work Kev and hope you get the gains you seek.

Joz

just a gripe bud but i was talking in ps in regards to jdm, higher octain fual etc and not bhp

thanx for the clear and consice input jozinoby.

Cheers man, only sharing what Ive experienced and believe in.

I dont think its worth using different measurements all the time in this topic bro, one PS is about 98.6% of one bhp which means its a slightly smaller unit

of power, when you said the 5EFE would give you 100PS for the same outlay as the Glanza S components, it just didnt sound right compared to 89bhp. Its all nitpicking, but I think we should stick to BHP to keep things simple :) Sorry for any confusion on both parts.

Joz

noooo :)

lol :p

the reason i ask is that the ecus are two plug, im at a loss to why you have only two plugs on your ecu, must be the fact that your car is denoted as a p9 and not ep91, with quite a few variences.

the gi 4efe(1oops) shares the same inlet as the fte, and some models of early corolla 4efes which had (85bhp)

• 2 years later...