• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's one of my driving lights, the rivets got loose on the housing... Can't hear a thing as soon as I touch it.

Anyways, the car's back in the workshop, found the OTHER LEAKS on the cooling system and fixed them, tomorrow I take the front right wheel of and look at what's stuck in my brake making noise and destroying my brand new brakes..... :sad:
And while I'm there, I'll remove the lower timing cover to check why there's oil on it. I hope it's just because I didn't clean my spill properly.

Stay tuned.

Edited by FMuscle

The 5E is back on the road. Good news is there's no more coolant leaking, bad news is I need to replace the NSF wheel bearing. I also need to keep an eye out for a potential sweat around the sump.
I may have a bearing in the transmission as well, but the wheel bearing is so loud I can't tell for sure until I replace it.

Funny how this bearing fucked while I had no engine in the car...

I did a bit of driving, and I can tell the powerband is different, probably the FHE cams at work. Feels like a tiny turbo lag before it gets some guts. About the same as the 4E at low revs then kicks in mid to high if that makes any sense to you. (Don't have a tacho installed yet)

I'll just leave this here for now...
>http://youtu.be/cZ6zMiN5xi8

Edited by FMuscle

I didn't do much today, I had to leave after work to pick up my wheel bearing before the store closed...

But this morning I did the templates for the manifolds flanges.

DSC06139.jpg

I will add that when I got back home, last street corner, the car started to rev way too high when not in gear... Popped the bonnet open and checked the cable. That Corolla inlet bracket is further away than the stock inlet's, so the nuts are at the very end of the thread for a proper throttle response. But the rubber seal came loose because it wasn't hooked on far enough and got itself stuck in the throttle linkage groove, holding the revs at about 2-2.5K rpm...

Edited by FMuscle

Sure will, many times. It even started already. I plan on 3 inches tops between the block and charger at the manifold level. Pipe will be 2.5" kissing the S/C going towards the gear box, then 90° straight up to clear the mounting tabs while going around. That avoids the oil filter, leaves enough room for exhaust primaries 1&2. Once above the S/C body, a 45° toward the corner of the car to get to the front mount.

The inlet is a lot simpler. grille mounted pod, 3" pipe strait down to the blower. Pipe will be so short, my recirculating blow-off should be as loud as a venting one...

You just made me go take some more mesurements... LOL Can't be too careful, I have 246mm between the block and the vertical wall of the crossmember.
I know my current pulley is 146mm and is slightly wider thant the supercharger. Let's say 145mm plus the approximate 75mm I need for the outlet, leaves me 25mm before I need serious cuts. I can probably make my outlet a little bit thiner between the blower and the block, I guess free flow isn't as much important right out on the pressure side, I can sacrifice a ¼ inch and make it oval instead of round... I could bring it down to 60mm from my first 76mm estimate. 40mm (yay!...)

The inlet will come from above, so I can shape it like this to clear a bit more space towards the bottom.
Here's a few more mesurements, in-/outlets holes on the blower are 2X4½ (52X115mm)
I still have some things to check, but no matter the size (to a certain extent) the supercharger pushes 1420cc of air per revolution, even if I don't have the full pipe size right out, it will push through to the full size section not 200mm away...

are you going to fit a bypass valve or just strait blow ??? im thinking of blowing strait in the 4efte topmount as easy instalation what do you think ???

I need a bypass/bov for idle. It's the same as a turbo, one the throttle shuts you want to let the pressure go... I thought about putting it between the S/C manifolds, litterally sitting on the S/C. short, neat... Unless it'd be more efficient to have it after the front mount?

Mesurements post!!...

• Engine block, where it meets the sump to lower crossmember: 246mm
  • S/C body width mani to mani without the studs: 141mm
  • Currently installed S/C pulley diameter: 146mm
  • Desired inlet pipe diameter: 76mm
  • Desired outlet pipe diameter: 63mm
  • Total projected width of the assembly: 280mm, or -34mm
  • -----------------------------------------------
  • Height of inlet and outlet ports: 52mm
  • Width of inlet and outlet ports: 115mm
  • Area of inlet and outlet ports: 5950mm2
  • Area of desired inlet pipe: 4536mm2
  • Area of desired outlet pipe: 3117mm2
  • -----------------------------------------------
  • Sump's lip width: 22mm
  • Crossmember vertical lip: 17mm
  • Crossmember horizontal lip: 17mm
  • Height difference top crossmeber to sump mating surface: 30mm

Boring post, I know, but informative. If you care! :p more fun coming later.

Using the aforementioned mesurements, I made a side cut diagram to scale. Pardon my paint skills, I know they're just too good 8)

Z_for_5_E_FZE.png

So I guess the outlet won't be crossing over on top, but will dive underneath the supercharger...
That inlet pipe is looking shorter everytime I mesure something... It would be somewhere between 12 and 18 inches long...

If you use it on an engine turning clockwise, like our 4E/5E engines, the outlet will be on your left side when you face the pulley. You can use a non-impact drill on the pulley nut to spin it and feel the air rushing out. From the dipstick, I guess yours was mounted on the rear side of the engine, do you know which engine it was?

I have a table I made to guestimate SC14 boost ratios with different pulley sizes on my 5E, I could probably adapt it for your application if you want... and if you want pulleys, look for A/C pulleys, I have the 5E's on mine, (146mm/10.5Psi) and I have a spare pulley from the 4E's compressor. Didn't mesure it yet, but it's smaller. I'm guessing it'd be just shy of a bar.

By the way, the SC12 looks so small! :p it's the same dimensions from what I read except the lenght... If you mount it like me you may not need a custom exhaust made up.

nice diagram thats going to help me to :) to your question its a gi block with gi rods and 4efte pistons

i cant fit mine upfront like yours with my turbo kit and 4efte oil housing so going to swap positions with the alt. i already tested i can use the existing alt bracket with some washers think it will be hardr to get the alt fitted upfront

coupple of pics above ( engine flat charger ontop ) i see you have a pulley where the power steering pump supposed to go is it adjustable and where did it come of ???

Edited by 5e colin

4E-FTE??? You're twincharging?

I think I saw a picture of a rear mount SC, I think SC was low, Alt was further back and higher... Not sure though, it's been a while.

What car was the SC12 in? MR2? if so, here's yours (in/out gasket not on pic, but part# are 17857-16010 and 17858-16010):

211110_1701_0004.png

On another note, I'm trying to remove the aerial from the Starlet, I can't pull it out directly, and can't find where the cable enters the cab to disconnect it. I can pull it about 2-3 inches tops, then it blocks... And also wondering how to remove the filler neck pipe from the body. Is it bolted from underneath?

Edited by FMuscle