It's actually not a bad job to do mate!

Ensure you tension the camshaft when assembling. Ensure all timing marks are in appropriate places when assembling that's about it to be honest! Oh and take your time, there Is a lot of info on this site so you should be ok :)

Good luck and hope all goes well mate :)

Read this link when coming to do the tensioning of camshaft!

http://www.ukstarletowners.com/topic/80525-retensioning-inlet-cam/

It's actually not a bad job to do mate!

Ensure you tension the camshaft when assembling. Ensure all timing marks are in appropriate places when assembling that's about it to be honest! Oh and take your time, there Is a lot of info on this site so you should be ok :)

Good luck and hope all goes well mate :)

Read this link when coming to do the tensioning of camshaft!

http://www.ukstarletowners.com/topic/80525-retensioning-inlet-cam/

Cheers pal I shall use that advice! Do you recommend getting the head skimmed and tested for defaults?

If you have the time to get it done then it's always a bonus mate, If your in a rush then I would clean up both surfaces up as best you can and ensure headbolt threaded holes are clear of any fluids to ensure the bolts are torqued down correctly. Also make sure you torque down the head in the correct sequence. Again, this info is on the site :) just use the search bar for the specific info your after! Hope this helps mate! :)

I'm not in a massive hurry but would rather it was done right the first time, do you know how much it normally costs to get it at least skimmed? I've found a tutorial over on TGTT which is quite helpful so will be using that in conjunction with anything on here

I'm not quite sure on prices for head skimming. If I said a price I would probably be lying to you :(

In my opinion you should be ok, if it's not overheated or anything serious then I can't see an issue with cleaning it up.

But then if you have time then go for it mate :)

Glad you found some good info mate :) keep is updated on how your getting on and if you need any help don't hesitate to ask :)

You might already know but the head bolts are a funny sized spline drive that nobody seemed to have in their toolbox and no shops seem to sell when I did mine lol so I had to buy one and off ebay and wait for it to come so my car was off the road for a good few days so might be worth making sure you have one of them first lol.

if your doing the headgasket get the head skimmed. For the sake of £30 its not worth taking the risk in my opinion its not so much the cost of another head gasket its the pulling your topend to bits again after youve just done it! I imagine you dont want to do that lol?

You might already know but the head bolts are a funny sized spline drive that nobody seemed to have in their toolbox and no shops seem to sell when I did mine lol so I had to buy one and off ebay and wait for it to come so my car was off the road for a good few days so might be worth making sure you have one of them first lol.

And this, its a M9 spline tool you'll need, roughly 100mm long as the head casting gets in the way a bit. Be very careful with it though they round off very easily.

Link to the m9 spline drive for the headbolts

http://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/231310675180?nav=SEARCH

link to the torque settings you will need

http://www.ukstarletowners.com/page/articles.html/_/engineandtuning/4e5e-torque-settings-r13

I cant think of anything else you need to know just have a go if you think you have all the tools if you get stuck im sure they will be someone to help you :)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

hey there my problem is kinda related :/ my car is in the garage ready to be put back together but they cant find and i cant find, the right head gasket kit to fit my car.
they tell me the ones they keep getting delivered, block to many of the water ways through the engine block and aren't right for the car. can anyone give me a hand locating the right one? all i need is a pic/part number.
thanks for your help.

hey there my problem is kinda related :/ my car is in the garage ready to be put back together but they cant find and i cant find, the right head gasket kit to fit my car.

they tell me the ones they keep getting delivered, block to many of the water ways through the engine block and aren't right for the car. can anyone give me a hand locating the right one? all i need is a pic/part number.

thanks for your help.

This is an OEM thing where the water ways are blocked to aid faster warm up however not great for those modified engines where the extra cooling is needed. Ideally you need an aftermarket metal headgasket as these open up the water ways, something like Athena, Cruise etc.