Engine tapping! Help!

Recently noticed the engine is very loud, it's got a continuous tap which goes with the revs, it sounds like it's from the top end, no loss if power or anything like that just very noisy and tappy. I started up mt other Glanza and this one was quiet as anything!!

Any ideas would be appreciated!

Thanks Sion

• 4 weeks later...

Could be worn shims in the head. Re-shimming would solve it. I gathered tonnes of shimes from scrapyard and did mine on my engine rebuild. Not a hard or expensive job to do just time cosuming. worth it though when you fire it up and it's nice and quiet :) can just hear the injectors ticking on mine now no tapping :thumbsup:

It's tappy throughout the rev range just doesn't sound nice atall ): I started my other forged V up and it's silent in comparison! Been working flat out so ain't had the chance to have a proper look! Might be down to shims like you said!

Thanks for all the response! Appreciate it. Will let you know once solved (:

It's tappy throughout the rev range just doesn't sound nice atall ): I started my other forged V up and it's silent in comparison! Been working flat out so ain't had the chance to have a proper look! Might be down to shims like you said!

Thanks for all the response! Appreciate it. Will let you know once solved (:

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

In for reshimming tomorrow (: I had a spare 4e engine sitting at home so just gonna use the shims outs of that saves me a little money (: hopefully be quiet as anything then ha

Been looking to see what they should be at, found this from tgtt that a member posted -

4E-FTE Valve clearance with the engine cold are:

Intake 0.17mm - 0.23mm

Exhaust 0.27mm - 0.33mm

Any one have an idea? Seen you've posted on my other thread Colin, I could only find a manual for a 5e paseo :s

Thanks (: