potential track car

Hi have just joined so excuse me if this been asked a hundred times before.Have been offered an EP82 GT turbo and am looking for another car to use as a track car project,have seen them on track in the past and seem to hold their own very well!My question is can anyone give me some pointers towards such things as reliability of engine,turbo etc for track and weak points that should be addressed before doing so?Obv previous servicing and abuse lol a big factor but in am looking for info in general!Many thanks for any suggestions!!

LOL thanks i'll strap myself in then!!All I know is the guy has had it around 8 yrs with it being parked up for past 18 months due to lack of funds to run it.He called into my garage and asked if i was interested as have owned and modified a few jap cars in the past and he wants it to go to a good home.went to take a look and apart from usual brake issue due to lack of use was in pretty good nick.He said it was imported with TRD coilovers,HKS induction,turbo timer,HKS dump valve and was supposed to be pushing around 170 bhp when it was dyno'd.No proof of this tho but did seem to have some grunt when i took it around the block for a quick test run.

Hi Andy, just noticed you're from Cardiff!

I'd inspect the car for any oil leaks, clutch wear, turbo and engine health (smoke and compression test) and any rust. If it's on a CT9 it may be on it's way out in the next few years. Sounds like a half decent spec as is though! I use my CT9 GT on track occasionally, does well for such a low power car (matched the time of a BMW M135i set at Donington)

Hey yeah i run a small garage in Splott,where abouts in Cardiff you based mate?Running an MX5 at mo that we take to as many track/action days as we can but am in need of something with more straightline speed,have watched a few starlets at the track and they seem to hold their own pretty well!

Have a 300zx too but dont really want to track it so next best option gonna be to buy this one and have some fun!!

Just needed some backup as to whether they pretty suited to some track abuse lol?

I use mine on track, in fact, it's all I use it for.

It's good fun, predictable on the limit and plenty fast enough with a similar level of hp at around 170. http://ep82.wordpress.com if you wanted to read about it and what I've done, it's quite comprehensive.

cool exactly what i have planned for mine,will take some time out to take a read for sure mate!

• 1 month later...

Starlets are ok on the track but if i had a choice to pick over a starlet i would definatly go for something where you can adjust the geometry of the car better. The lack of independent suspension does let it down. So maybe a 200sx or a civic would be better. But it all depends how far you want to take it. Driven my mates skyline r32 and its got so much grip in corners. As i said depends how far you want to take it and how competitive you are and how fast you want to. You should look at time attack cars to just give you an understanding of how important geometry setups are.