Started my car up after work today (started fine) but was quite high on idle (just under 2k revs) but that's always been the case with my car, after about 30 secs of sitting there the idle was bouncing BIG time. I turned the ignition off so it was just letting the turbo timer run and it carried on bouncing but obv the Rev limiter wasn't doing anything as it was "off". Once I started driving it and 2-3 mins later it was back to normal and idleling absolutely fine and hasn't done it since. What do people think this could be. I've got an over feeling problem but I didn't think it would make a diff to the idle? Also I have had an idle control valve pack up on a previous car of mine but used to drop idle when hot or cold.

Heeellllpppp x

Found out what the prob is... Something to do with idle control valve. When I unplug this wire the problem stops... Does this mean I need a new icv or is there a problem with say the wiring or something??

image_zps1acadd3e.jpg

High idle just after the start up is normal as the ECU has three states when starting up: after start enrichment, warm up enrichment and open loop. ECU turns after start enrichment off when water temp reaches 36c and warm up enrichment off at 68c.

Probably your ICV is dirty or broken. You can open it carefully and clean, but if the copper ring is broken and diaphragm is floating on it's own it won't work as it should and cause high or unsteady idle. A brand new ICV solved my issues, but it cost ~130eur from Toyota.