I just got my crankshaft, rods, back from the machine shop to be checked measured and all that stuff, due to a bent rod originally on mine I managed to pick up some good 4efte rods which were checked and measured etc, he told me the gudgeon pins (which as far as I know are only a year old) are worn, and didn't put then back in the pistons, I said to him what could course the pins to be worn only after a short time to his reply was to much power, I did chuckle and say it's only running 200bhp, all 4 gudgeon pins are worn so I hope this all makes sense and hopefully someone could give me some info on this to why the gudgeon pins would be worn after a short space of time, the pistons are a year old (receipts to prove it from toyota) I'm just wondering do the pistons come with gudgeon pins when you buy them unless the idiot I brought the car off didn't bother changing the pins and used the same ones from the his old pistons and put then in the new ones?

Thanks Pat

Hello Colin mate i know what you mean well I don't actually hehehe I don't know what to think of it, if it's the piston holes that get worn surely why would they just after a year? Just trying to find out before the engine gets rebuilt 👍

wel to be honnest i just think he is riding your ass ( bullshiting ) for more £ of u

the way it is the gudgeon pin is of way stronger steel then the aluminium of the piston so the sponge ( piston ) will wear out first

i have never come across worn out gudgeon pins in my life !!!!! ( and i have rebuild many oem spec engines of al brands ) but have only come across worn out piston holes where there is play between piston and gidgeon pins !!!! those engines had all more then 300.000km on them .

Hello Adam mate, it is a reputable place yes but when you mentioned serious oil starvation, well my oil light on my dash was flickering for a few weeks and of course it turned out the oil pump was on its way out so maybe that's where the oil starvation had come from thinking about it?

In all honesty the rod and main bearings would generally go before the gedgeon pin however I'm not saying its impossible.

Is there any knocking from the engine at all?

How's your oil level?

Oh mate the engine hasn't been put back together yet as everything is being done right with the engine, was only asking what courses worn pins? As mine were worn apparently, there was no knocking though when the engine was in this all started ages due to oil pump failure, so due to work etc I been sorting the parts out slowly 👍

I understand its not running at the moment mate, was just asking how it was before it got stripped as if it did run low on oil or oil pressure was low was there any signs of knocking as that would usually be the first things to go.

When your machine guy says worn, does he mean that they just aren't in tolerance, or there is actual wear marks like scoring etc on them?

The E series has no problem with the pins, the 4E does have really small rod journals though however at 200bhp you should have no issues what so ever.

Sorry Adam mate I get you now it was low oil pressure before as the oil light in my car was flickering for a few weeks before I stopped the car the machine guy didn't give me an answer he just said there worn, there's no scoring on them, they have a tiny lip on them each side where the rod sits and it's only a darker colour in the middle

Oh and there wasn't any knocking either before the only reason this came about in the first place was because I read about oil light flickering, it wasn't the switch or low level oil so took the sump off and that's when I realised there was all metal bits in sump where oil pump was failing, to think before I brought it it had a rebuild and only done 5k miles obviously previous owner didn't Chang things in the rebuild hence why it's gonna be done properly this time 👍