Exhaust Manifold Fitting

just a basic one really, im gonna be fitting my roadrunner exhaust manifold next week hopefully, and basically, i just want a run down of any tricky things to look out for while fitting the mani.

the main thing i want to know is: is the turbo mounted to anything other than the exhaust system?

as i know the cat had its own brace that held it in place, as well as being bolted onto the turbo, and as i have a unbraced decat fitted, im wondering if im gonna need to support the exhaust system and turbo in any way while changing the mani over?

any help or tips would be handy?

i might try to do a how to on it if i get enough time.

Rich.

3rd bold underneath the manifold.

what..

a..

cunt..

i had to heat up a spanner and bend it into the right shape.

it took about 3 hours to do tightly.

also. you have the oil feed at the bottom of the turbo. take that off because its metal and will bend out of shape.

and you can just unclip the waterlines at the thermo housing.

appart from that youre good to go.

the turbo is only held on by the manifold and downpipe. just make sure to disconnect the other bits to save breaking them.

but mate. be ready with a swear jar for the job. you will cuss like a sailor.

also, dont even bother trying to do it with the radiator in. its aggro to drain the coolant etc, but it makes like so much easier (ish)

Take the water rad out

Air con rad out

air con compressor off so you can get underneath easily

efi pipe off of turbo

Unbolt the top manifold to head nuts, then unbolt the manifold to turbo 4x bolts

use a long angled ring spanner with as thinner ring as you can for the manifold to head lower 2 nuts.

You can get to them barely from in between the runners and working up top.

You should be able to rest the turbo on the oil line and pull the manifold off if you pull the turbo a bit. dont yank too much if its still attatched to the oil lines as you dont want to bend or kink the pipes.

Best if you defintely remove both the water and aircon rads though, it will give you way more workin space, specially when you come to unbolting the turbo to manifold 4 studs.There a real Ahole ;)

Once youve done it once, you will master it if you memorise what shape spanners you want for each bolt.

Dont forget new gaskets, last thing you want is to finish it and it blows like a hoe on the corner soho street

too true, make sure you have a full set of new gaskets as it takes about four hours to do it properly taking your time ;)

it would be a good idea to clean the oil feed pipe of any debries, also watch it can be very brittle

Swan neck spanners and ratchet spanners FTW :p

Arsehole of a job :p

Swan neck!! the exact word i was trying to think of :p

Yank the aircon out rich, it cuts the time down of taking it off by half, its less fiddly and you wont need to employ a small child with dinky hands to do it ;)

• 3 weeks later...

all is good guys, the car is going in monday to have it fitted... i just really dont have the time to fit it myself at the moment.

but i do have one question... will fitting the mani marginally increase the boost pressure? as im running a manual controller which doesnt seem to go any lower than .75-.8 bar!