100% true there is no oil pressure in the oil channels of the crank its only loubed by splash from the rotating crank

to 2 posts above seems like it if oil pump was new and in working order then it seems the rebuild spec was neglected by a newby/rookie rebuilding the engine like adam said to smal of oil space/clearance will result in a fuck up of bearing

example like a size 3 ( toyo ) bearing in size 2 slot could/wil cause it

ay now i see why the lads said it !!!! I SAID OIL CHANNELS OF CRANK !!!! i should of said loubes of crank to rod

i stick up my hand i miss said it there SORRY lads i was wrong there

( family is great mate :) :) )

Edited by 5e colin

the big end and even thrust clearence of the conrods and main caps (crank) is lubed by oil breakout from the shells the only part of the crank that might be subject to splash/misting will be the little end but thr is a oiler hole on all e serise con rods. so this is now not the case. misting is not desirable in pro engines. just in its nature it increases crank case pressure (not good).

yup the mains (crank to block ) i knew there all direct fed under pressure but conrods arnt fed by pressure just by hitting the oil on rotating and splash thats how oil goos tru the oil hole tru rod and crank that fills up each rotation and when it gose up or down the oil runs out whats stored in the small crank hole and runs to the bearings loube

prove me wrong :p

Edited by 5e colin

Theres a hole in the rod colin. Like a jet hole it fires at the little ends its not direct fed. If you look at a standard rod little end facing you you will see a small pilot hole in the big end as if your looking straight into the pilot, that hole feeds the little end and cools the piston crown from the underside. Its not splash fed.

Edited by lukEp

My mistake was thinking the same as Colin with the big ends rather than mains!

Not all conrods have that pilot hole in them to splash up under the piston/pin.

In a few race engines from what I was told by a chief designer at Cosworth they use the pressure under the piston to feed the bearings, this is going back like 25 years so I thought by now we would have moved onto this method as it reduces losses in the engine and makes use of that air escaping past the pistons rings! Was clearly wrong.

All standard 4e/5e rods have the pilot hole. Forged rods have notches in the sides to do the same job. By spraying oil on the under crown of the piston and feeding the little ends. The big ends are fed from the mains via drillings.

colin get face book and com on our page unit 6 motor sport. all our engine get stripped and all info put up thr for all to see mainly the toyota engines and honda. we have built a d15y8 engine at the min that should be amazing. its got the 3rd compression ring (good for boost) and a very good crank to rod ratio. a t3/t4 turbo is going on. should make the b18 look tame. xx

man i been racing tru my head and checking my block crank that im building up our cranks are solid by the looks of it so no oil is going tru the centre core of the crank ( being pushed tru from left side to right side or visa versa ) so the only way i picture this in my head is by going tru the oil pool in sump and splash ?? and lubing up the bearings

why i say that is we do not have jets pointed at them like in other engines

i cant imagine the oil squeezing out from the main ( crank ) journals reaching the loubes from conrods becouse the counter loubes ????? this has me really baffled guys

can you use paint on a pic and show where its coming from ??