dizzy cap position

i know this might be a really stupid question ..

recently got a replacement engine fitted by my local garage, but now that i have it back i had a thought today regarding the position of the dizzy cap for timing etc.

when i asked him he said he set it at 10* btdc, im running a unichip mapped etc already but im worried about det etc. could any one give me advice on what i should do?

engine was replaced due to what we believe to have been foreign objects in the intake and screwing the pistons etc ..

Well 10 is what its set to standard, and the ECU will pull the timing back if the knock sensor starts detecting det, so i'd say it should be sound.

But in the ideal world (where remaps are free lol) a wee tweak to the map should be done after fitting a different engine anyway. It will have slightly different compression and wear etc.

Hows the motor running now anyway man ? Sorted those issues with it ?

the issues are sorted mate, well when i say sorted ive only driven t from the garage to the house cause im too scared to drive it lol..

cost me £800 for the swap over, cleaning etc and then £420 for the engine, compression is 160 across all 4..

cleaned the intercooler with petrol internally and all the pipes. just a bit worried about this dizzy cap. i didnt realise i would need to get the map looked at again, that costs a fair bit cause its a dastek :(

Yeah Dastek arent cheap. Id ask them if they kept a note of if they messed about the timing when they mapped it, just for peace of mind. But bet they'll want it back in lol.

Id say it should be fine at the standard setting though..

ok so i took her out tonight for running about and wasnt happy with how it was running, sturreing a few times not really got any power as such.

so i pulled over amd looked at the dizzy cap and noticed the guy had marked 2 white lines on the metal infront of the dizzy cap so i turned the cap so the round metal leg was in the middle of the painted lines, tightened up a intake pipe and it runs so much sweeter!

no stuttering, has power etc so i guess the 10* setting would work for safety as its retarded , so all good now mate.