Had the car in yesterday for it MOT and service. Both fine just an advisory for one of the tyres close to legal limit.

But they told me that the car is due a cambelt change, based on its age (98 R reg) not its mileage (43000).

They have quoted me £185.65 for it all doing.

So what I was wondering is this about right for the age of the car to need it changing and is £185 pound about right for the job doing?

Thanks

David

• 3 months later...

Yeah, it's due if you follow Toyota guidelines.

£185 seems about right for a cambelt from a Main Dealer (I think we were quoted £180). You can get it cheaper, but I think they reckon on 1.8 (2) hours labour. Personally, I'd go to a dealer or preferably someone I trusted to do the work.

Have literally just come back from having the cambelt, water pump (cautionary while the cambelt was being done - theoretically saves on labour in the long run), coolant, auxilliary belts, oil and filter change, and it took about 3 hours all in (and the bloke wasn't "on one" to get it finished).

• 1 month later...

Guys,

Quick question about this.

Iâ??ve seen a 1997 Glanza for sale with 59.000miles on the clock.

I asked the guy about the cambelt and he didnâ??t knew if it had been changed (fresh import from Japan) and he said the cover was blank.

Now is my question, is it a smart move to buy the car?

And would it be safe to drive around 500 miles with it and then have the belt changed?

(need to drive it home to Holland).