EP82 smoking/Burning excessive amounts of oil

Any ideas on this would be really appreciated!

When i first got my GT it was smoking slightly on over-run and boost. From past experience with other turbo cars ive had i put it down to failing turbo. The existing turbo was a TD04, which when i removed and inspected it seemed in good condition, also all the intercooler pipe work, hoses etc were clean. Anyhow i ended up fitting a brand new WEPR hybrid TD04 and it still doing the exact same thing (smokes on boost and occasionally when you dab the throttle after a long overrun)
There are also black marks on my drive near to where the back box is, which i guess is where it lets out a puff of smoke every time its started. To me it sounds like valve stem seals, but ive never had them go on any of my cars before, so not sure on the general symptoms.. i kinda imagined it to be continuously smoking if stem seals were worn. I havnt yet investigated any further however i checked through the paperwork that i got with the car and its got a receipt for complete engine rebuild which included all new seals etc only 2 years ago.

Edited by DJ-KY

yeah will be either valve stem seals or oil control rings/piston rings.

I would do ure valve stem seals first (can be done with head on)

this is after a compression check.this will tell you wether pistons are sealing well etc and give u a clue to what is happening

Hi thanks for the reply, I havnt thoroughly checked for any splits yet, would a split boost hose cause it to smoke like the way I described tho? I just thought a split Hose would cause the turbo to work abit harder or not hold boost very well ?

I forgot to add, I took a long drive down Weymouth on the weekend, around 130 miles pretty much off boost all the way due to really bad fog..Checked the oil before I set off and it was just below the upper limit and when I got there it was just above the lower limit :-/

Just Took the Pipe off PCV and there was oil dripping out of it, I guess it's only meant to allow gases to pass through so that looks like the problem! I'm thinking about just cutting the pipe and blocking both ends up just for the purpose of test run to see if that's solved the problem, but sure if I'm gona put stress on anything...

If it stops it smoking I'll probs get myself an oil catch can instead

Just a little update...

Carried out Compression test and found 180psi accross all cylinders.

Couldn't find any oil residue IC pipe work.

Disconnected/blocked the PCV valve temporarily to test and still smokes when you dab the throttle after a long overrun. I guess the only thing left it can be is stem seals. Does anyone know of a good way of testing or confirming wether stem seals have worn?

No real smoke on startup at all, only smokes on hard acceleration and just after dabbing the throttle from letting the engine overrun from fairly high RPM. Doesn't smoke on low-medium acceleration/overrun.

When you I try and remove the oil filler cap whilst the engine is running there seems to be a hell of a lot suction on it, is this normal? Or could this be the result of worn stem seals or mabey even just a breather issue ?

I would do the stem seals regardless.

I had a bad smoke issue and I did the valve stems seals first as I was sure it was that (compressions always bewn good so knew no issue there) and still remained.i did the valve stem seals in situ without removing head.i used the rope down bores method

turned out the actuall issue was the stock ct9 I had was fooked.had it rebuilt and hybrided and all smoke stopped.

g