new owner 96 Glanza V

morning folks,

purchased a 96 Glanza V, imported in 2007, done 100k miles in the bluey silver colour with black painted bonnet,

current spec is:

- FMIC

- Side exit exhaust

- HKS air filter

- Greddy Dump valve

- D2 Coilovers

- Boost gauge mounted in A pillar

- turbo timer.

a few little niggles that hopefully someone on here may be able to shed some light on,

- speedo hasnt worked for a few months, has been converted from KPH to MPH so potentially an issue with that?

- temp gauge drops off a fair bit when on the move and heater doesnt always blow hot, so assuming probably just a thermostat?

other than those bits its everything ive dreamt about since i was about 13 and probably the best thing i've ever bought

i will upload some pics later once i've worked out how to and hopefully someone may have some ideas about my little problems,

its currently running 1.0 bar boost, drives really nice but would be nice to have a bit more power and especially low down as there is a fair amount of lag at present, is that normal for these?

thanks in advance for any help and guidance

Tom

Welcome along glad you're enjoying it! get some pics up!

You seem pretty accurate, the heating issue sounds like thermostat (could do the boiling water test but they're cheap enough to replace)

Speedo could also be an issue with the converter, just check that the cable is fitted properly in the clocks/converter and if it's still not working try removing the converter and trying it directly in the box?

Ans as for the lag issue if it's still on the standard CT9 turbo it shouldn't be laggy at all. Could be a crack in the wastegate of the turbo or a cracked manifold, or a boost leak. Or could be fueling. But it shouldn't be laggy.

yeah I was a bit concerned about the lag, I mean don't get me wrong its not terrible and when it does get on the boost it really shifts, but yeah it is the standard CT9,

now i'm not really very mechanically minded, are those easy things to check?

The easiest way to check all of those things would be to take the turbo off really. That way you can have a good look at all aspects of it and the maanifold and replace the gaskets at the same time. The standard manifolds are very prone to crack on the third runner and they are mega restrictive. if you remove the standrad heat shield (if it still has one) you'll see the manifold and it may be obviously cracked, but sometimes the crack an be underneath or in the collector. The wastegate on the CT9 often has one or more big cracks but that more often causes boost creep than lag but worth checking. If you do take the turbo off, check for shaft play etc. You can get a replacement CT9 reasonably cheap, i think there is one for sale on JDM EP.

that sounds fairly straight forward, although i'm pretty sure it isn't the standard mani on it, ill have to work out how to upload pics so you can see, hmmm well if it did come down a replacement turbo it might be worth just going down the TD04 route? ive heard its a fairly simple conversion and can run 240-250 on stock internals fairly reliably?

IMG_1252_zps8bd3ec66.jpg

that's how it looks under the bonnet at present, in need of a clean up gives a good idea of how its set up at the moment,

any pointers or advice on anything wrong or anything improvable would be greatly appreciated!

Edited by tommyn1991

Welcome,

That's not a stock mani mate, & yes you are running long route intercooer pipe. I haven't driven one with that fmci set up so couldn't tell you if there laggy mate

If your mani is cracked it will blow a treat & your be able to hear it.

yeah that's it (Y) I thought it would make some noise if the mani was cracked, to be honest I think the turbo could do with either a recon or a replace as it does burn a tiny bit of oil,

perhaps a new map might sort out the lag?

I can see me having this little starlet for a long time tbh, its amazing fun and turns heads more as a little Japanese hatch than my BM does!!