my n.a drinks oil!

Need some help here please guys, i did a service about 6k miles ago, when i did it originally i had just bought my car, my oil was very low and just before my oil filter started leaking due to corrosion so i put it down to that, this past week my oil light kept flashing on and off when i brake on a a hill or break for a round about im guessing the oil was passing the sensor due to it being low, and my engine was getting noisier, for example i was on the dual carrigeway in 5th and i had to check i wasnt in 3rd or 4th lol anyway i did a full service tonight but when i drained it the oil was filthy black, and smelt burnt, and there wasnt much left! Same as when i changed it the last time, it runs like a dream now, but i checked my oil cap no mayo, checked around for any leaks cdnt see anything, checked my oil filter before i removed it, it was fine, no residue around my sump plug, i know i need to replace my ht leads but surely it cant be them causing me to burn oil or what ever its doing? Im really stumped as to what can cause it to use so much oil?