Bought and fitted a brand new thermostat for my glanza months ago. Because the car wasn't ready I only got out in it tonight. Car started overheating so went to check if it had bled properly, huge amount of pressure in both pipes and the pipe from the thermostat housing to the bottom rad didn't have much fluid in it. Then I noticed my radiator had cracked with the heat and started to leak. Engine itself was ridiculously hot. Tested the therermostat in boiling water and it barely moved a few mm.

Because the temp sender was at the closed side of the thermostat who knows just how hot my poor engine had got before I got back to my house and shut it off. Was only driving and had the car running 15 mins max but because the coolant wasn't circulating past the sensor, the gauge in the dash would have been far from accurate.

Is there any way of knowing if I've damaged my engine? Head gasket in particular!!

Will be rather upset if replacing thermostat has not only cost me a new rad but has possibly damaged my engine aswell.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated ☺

Yeah will do cheers Colin. Ordering a triple core half size rad and low temp thermostat tomorrow. Just got to hope no damage was done fan wasn't kicking in before so I replaced the switch. Ended up fitting a manual switch in the end.. guess it was just the sticky thermostat that was the problem all long haha