Over heating brakes :( help

Fitted new discs and pads to my Impreza this evening and once fitted took the car for a test drive around the block however when returning the drivers side disc was red hot and smelling of burning! Passenger side is fine

Am I right in thinking I've over tighened the caliper and the pads haven't got room to move about ?( movement on slider if I'm correct ) or Is it something else ?

Will be loosening up bolts slightly tomorrow night after work

Any other ideas and advice is appreciated

James

Has it got brembo 4 pots? They are quite bad for jamming on, ive had 2 imprezas and theyve both had sticky brakes.

Did you push the pistons back far enough?

Or could be like you say a jammed pad or slider. Just need to have a look and see whats what

Edited by daniel_g

Very twitchy about the idea of fixing brakes by loosening bolts.....!!!! :)

Get hold of a heap of thick washers and use them under the wheel bolts/nuts (not overtightened, nipped up is fine) to replicate the wheel and allow the disc to be clamped to the hub, and work out exactly what's going wrong by turning the disc by hand with the car in the air.

Sliders etc should all work fine even if the bolts are over tightened, find what's sticky / too big / too small / too tight and fix it, don't just guess at something and see if it helps....

All sorted !

Caliper was mis- aligned on the carrier so took Caliper off fans after few moments of pissing around getting it aligned correctly bolted it back together and went for a drive and was perfect :)

James

Edited by jimmymac101