Rebuilding my diff...

Evenin' all :)

Here's how my car looks now...

DSCF2879_zpsdbwxyx6h.jpg

Drive shaft out...

DSCF2876_zpscoenslra.jpg

DSCF2874_zpses8kq0n6.jpg

Yep - water got into the inner CV - I'll be cleaning it all up and I've some nice, high-spec grease to go in but that's not for a while yet...

Here's the story...

Our little EP91 GLS Auto (N/A) has served us well for a few years now. A gift from relatives (rather than scrapping it) it's been a nice little daily hack for the school and work run. Uses very little fuel and is tough as old boots (I reversed the Volvo into it and the Volvo came off worse lol).

Any way, after yet another surprising MOT pass, I started tarting it up a little. New brakes all round, new shocks all round, new bump stops, P/S flush, Coolant flush, service, a few geometry tweaks to make it a bit more fun around town etc etc.

I noticed a few knocks while turning at low speed recently and I naturally presumed a CV was on it's way out. Well, on closer inspection, I've found the diff bearings are shot - the nearside driveshaft is flapping about like a mo-fo (see other thread).

Here's where I get back on topic.

With everything I've done to the car, it would be a shame to break it or scrap it, so I decided to rebuild the diff. How hard can it be?

Now, the car isn't a Glanza. It's the daily work hack so I won't be slinging an LSD in there or anything, so don't flame me for keeping it stock, I have another toy for driving like a tit with :)

Tonight, as you can see from the above pics, I started stripping things down to get at the diff. However, I've already encountered a problem... Well, rather a question. When I unbolted the plate that would give me access to the diff, I found what looks like a core plug, in the back of the gear box and it's stopping the housing from coming out.

Here it is...

DSCF2868_zpscsq8zh2f.jpg

DSCF2867_zpsndwzemp0.jpg

Can anybody tell me if I can just undo the bolts and remove the cover? or will it do some horrific kind of damage to the autobox?

I can get a replacement box and diff for £100 or so but I like a challenge and I'm a right tightarse (bearings I can get cheap :) )

Any advice I can get will be great. I'll update this thread with my progress if anybody's interested.

Martin.

I would remove the whole box from the car buddy n still it down at least then if you take the cover off and it results in things flinging around the place you have a better chance to find them and put it back together aha

I doubt anyone's repaired one before buddy only binned them n got a second hand one. If I was you I'd just pull it apart I mean if you can pull it apart it should go back together right? Just take pictures along the way please so some of the others can see if it's really worth the Agro or not. Plus I'd love to see the insides of the auto. Box

No need to pull the autobox apart, the diff is in its own little box at the back.

I'll take plenty of pics and do a writeup etc.

If I can help someone out that'll be great.

I've done a little research and doing the diff bearings should be a doddle. It's getting it out without ruining something that's bothering me.

• 2 weeks later...

So, my first go at it since I started this thread.

I've now realised that the diff housing won't come out with the driveshaft still in. I know this is a bit obvious but it wasn't having it the other day so I left it. Does anybody know if the shaft is locked in in Some way? I tried Colin's method (with a 2 foot wrecking bar) but it won't budge.

Any tips?

Edited by M-R-P

Anybody?

I'm not happy about the wife using the other car for the school run (taken me too long making it straight) and I've been offered a Pug 206 for peanuts. If I can't get the starlet fixed soon, I'm gonna have to break it and run a pug :(

I'm not planning to go anywhere near the box. The diff is in its own little housing on the back. There's a removable plate that the n/s driveshaft goes through and a plate on the back allowing access to remove the diff.

My problem, which is holding me up and could potentially be the end of the car, is removing the driveshaft.

Result!

After propping the cv cup into position with an axle stand, the wrecking bar got the bugger out! :)

Offside one came out with little fuss.

I'm off to pick my kid up from school but later, I'll be getting stuck in and having the diff out.

Stay tuned.

Edited by M-R-P
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Right, it's back in one piece and no better than it was.

Anybody wanna make me an offer for it before I put it on the local for sale forums?

I'd rather it went to someone who'd use it for bits than someone who'd scrap it when the MOT runs out. It's got a fair few new bits on it and everything works fine apart from the diff.

Edited by M-R-P

Not getting a Vauxhall are you?

Indeed I am :)

I decided we needed something new for the wife to do the school/work run in and for the 127 quid a month we'll be paying, the spec of the car were getting is phenomenal.

Not bad dude, can see why i load of people go down the new car route rather than spending out on older cars.

Shame is with all these types of scrappage schemes, like the 2k one Vauxhaull do the car will end up as a can of red bull and maybe a kit kat wrapper.. :/

Bit sad, it's been a tough old bird (not to mention all the new bits I've thrown at it recently) and I'll miss not caring what the wife bounced it off but it's just one of those things really. I've bust my balls saving one car from the scrapper, I'm getting too old for all that now and besides, being a "professional" family, I think the wife deserves something new and shiny to do the school and work run in.

Edited by M-R-P

Let it catch fire then. It's warrantied, insured etc. And who cares how it's kept? If it's not right when I collect it, they'll be keeping it until it is.

I find it funny how I'm getting more replies now I'm scrapping the starlet than when I was asking for help in fixing it - well done UKSO!

Hang on bud im only taking the piss, have a look at the last Watchdog episode and you'll find out how Vauxhall were treating their customers.

And you got plenty of advise when you were asking about youre Starlet so that comment is invalid. And obviously nobody wanted your fucked auto Starlet so you probably did the best thing by giving it to them and knocking 2k off your new Vauxhall.

Plenty of starlets have been scrapped, 1 more isnt gonna throw them into extinction!

Enjoy your new car, hope yours is in better condition than the ones ive recently seen :)