I have an idea

So my standard pistons (number 4) is fucked, so my plan was to run a 5e bottom end and forge it, run the ct9 for a while then maybe a gt28. Wheres the best place to source a 5e? I cant really afford it just now but will be something for the near future

Try and find a cheap/crashed/mot fail paseo. you get the entire engine then, break the rest of the decent parts from the car and scrap the shell to get some money back (although scrap is on its arse). You'll need a 3E flywheel too if you're putting a turbo clutch on it. i think i've seen a flywheel conversion kit on id workz but you'd have to check.

If you want spool time go 5e small turbo if you want better power and high rev 4e td04 I say one or the other I have heard it's 30% more torque on the 5E it all depends on how you drive..either or your gunna need bigger brakes and lsd to get the most out of them imo

All depends on personal preference, you can get 4E engines to 400+ bhp... A 5E will be less laggy. It doesnt cost 'that' much more to build a 5E over a 4E.. 5E block and crank used to go for about 150quid area. People say a 5E wont rev as high as a 4E but pretty sure you can still go to 8.5K+ RPM area i think has been done..

Personally id get a Gen1 5EFHE (fuckin solid rods) out a Sera and just run that turbo'd for a while at low / medium boost on a good ECU and map, it has a higher compression ratio and better cams. Save yourself the forging costs for a while, then forge it at a later date when you have a massive turbo to strap to it :)

Edited by daniel_g

Was Spuddys drag GT that could rev like fuck on a 5E if you wanna search for it.

9k rpm they had that upto, but it needed it as otherwise it had no powerband what so ever. Think it made less bhp than a completely stock 4E until like 5500rpm.

9k rpm they had that upto, but it needed it as otherwise it had no powerband what so ever. Think it made less bhp than a completely stock 4E until like 5500rpm.

I remember seeing the powerband graph and it was pretty dead low down lol.

Was the spec of the turbo ever released?

I'm sure the graph is still up on the power leaderboard.

The turbo was a T3/T4 of some kind, actual specs about it not 100% sure were released, but I know that he switched over from the .63 turbine housing to a .82 ( I think ) at around the 480bhp mark. So goes to show that you can get away with small ratio AR's on these motors and still make good power. Although it might well have something to do with the fact he was running on Methanol =@

Sorry ive not been able to reply dudes i havent been on, but My mind is set, just trying to find a good 5e block and theres not many about. But the plan was swap the blocks get Wossner pistons hbeam rods, I have heard you get better lower end torque and surely running more boost will be abit more reliable. I was looking at a billet td04 but i would like something stupidly insane for my area as theres the usual corsa vxr's and skoda fabias that think there rapid. Is there any 5e blocks for sale that anyone knows of? Preferably just standard rods and pistons as i want to make sure everything is perfect before i forge. Also will i need any headwork done? Port and polish.. Or uprated valves? As i have fucked a valve head too

Edited by Kirkyyb36

Won't need to touch the head, you could get 3 angle valve seats cut, and worth upgrading the springs to something a little less tired. If you go for something like a GT28, then a little honing of the ports would do nicely.