Overheating, heaters go cold and irratic idle

Good afternoon guys, I've recently been getting this problem with my 98 spec forged glanza.

On cold startup it will idle around 1800-2k rpm, when I touch the throttle it will start to fluctuate between the two, from 1800 to 2k and so on...

This morning I started to drive my car and after around 1-2miles of light throttle and very small amounts of boost the temp gauge started to rise as it should, after around 4-5miles (MOSTLY STUCK IN TRAFFIC) it had started to clime above centre and to around 3/4. I have looked to see if I can find any leaks and from what I can make out there isn't any. My overflow tank is still just above minimum.

When the overheating occurs my heaters inside the car go very cold and when I start to to drive again it starts to get warm again! My fans are working as thy should etc!

I hope you can understand this! Thanks for any help or suggestions in advance!

I would have thought if it was either of those things it would constantly over heat! when I start to drive again my heaters work again.

If the thermostat was stuck closed it wouldnt allow the heaters to get warm..

Thanks for the comments guys much appreciated.

From what your saying it sounds like both your water pump and thermostat are fucked.

Thermostat not closing properly would allow water to pass through and when car is moving due to the rads effect it would drop below op temp.

Faulty water pump - at idle when not moving would cause your heaters to blow cold and engine to overheat.

Found the problem guys, after letting the car cool down for a couple hours.

I'e rechecked the coolant level and it turns out it's extremely low its down to a hole in the bottom of my radiator caused by my intercooler pipe rubbing on it, I've got my WEPR radiator here so that will get fitted once my new brackets arrive from TD.

Thanks for all the comments and suggestions!

StuDoc I completely understood where you was coming from, all the VW's I work on daily have the same problem with water pumps, thanks again for your help much appreciated!