Best Value For Money? - Cost/Power

I don't want to go berserk and spend a fortune on mods then another fortune when the insurance goes up... so I've been thinking, and done a bit of reading...

100BHP would be a nice target, but even a 10BHP increase would be better than nothing, don't get me wrong it has nice power for a 1.3 N/A, but no matter how much power you have you know you want just a little bit more B)

Corolla Manifold - £30 to £50

K&N Panel filter - £40 (keeping standard airbox)

decent spark plugs - £25 (and maybe HT leads, aswell as replacing rotor arm/distributor cap)

and get rid of the spare wheel and any heavy tools to save a bit of weight, (can always put it back in for long journeys).

Is it worth doing anything to the exhaust? I'd rather not spend out on a full system, for one I'd rather save money now and spend it later in a couple of years on a Glanza, and two I don't want a loud noise, I think it's silly on small non turbo cars.

Will a decat make much difference? I've read good things and bad things about decats on N/A engines, some say it doesn't really matter as much on N/A as it does on a turbo.

I take it it's not worth mentioning any of the above things to the insurance? It would still be the standard airbox so I don't think that would be worth saying anything about, and they wouldn't even see the spark plugs anway, and I probably wont bother with the exhaust.

Anyhow, I wont be doing any of these mods for a few months, but I like to plan ahead, and get some idea of what I'm going to do.

Was going to write something else but I've forgot now <_<

any mod you do that affects performance, handling or looks should be mentioned to your insurance else it could render it void should the worst happen.

although i think you could get away with spark plugs <_<

Yeah I know, but going from this:

They wouldnt even notice mate and IF they did just say its standard on the 4EFE engine B)

So I don't know if it's worth taking the risk, a lad up my street had a crash and his insurance company wouldn't pay out because he had a STICKER on the side of his car... and they came up with shit that it changed the structure of the car lol...

What about the air filter aswell, considering it's the panel filter I assume they wouldn't bother opening the box to check the filter the same as they probably wouldn't bother checking the plugs?

Anyhow, what sort of increase am I looking at with a Corolla manifold and K&N panel filter? (Assuming the K&N filter gives better airflow than standard). Worth messing around with a anything on the exhaust?

I suppose I'll declare the mods then, I don't want to risk anything.

I doubt I'll bother spending 40 quid as opposed to £10 on a filter if it's not going to make much difference, the same as a cold air induction kit, £130 odd for about 3BHP more? I don't exactly have alot of money to throw around (I'd rather save it and spend it in a couple of years on something that's actually worth putting big money into, i.e. a Glanza).

Well Corrolla manifold, Induction Kit located behing the headlamp (bit more cold air) and a full manifold back, decat exhaust (make sure its a close match to the origional bore 1/4 overboare is ok 1 inch overbore will lose you power) should see you over the 100 BHP and 100 ft/lb torque mark. Things like HT leads might help but on N/As I can't see them making much difference.

Remember HP is worthless without Torque.

Rich