Master Cylinder Bleeding

Removed the master cylinder after cross threading it when installing my abs removal kit from TD. I've replaced the master cylinder and everything is connected up. Should i have bled the master cylinder first before fitting? Or will bleeding the brakes normally remove any air trapped in the system?

You just bleed the brakes as normal.

Open the bleed nipples at each corner and drain the fluid out first though so you have all new fluid right through.

I done this at the weekend bud. Done all 4 corners and got fresh fluid coming through with no air but the peddle just went straight to the floor.

Did you replace the gasket on the m/c? I took mine off and fitted and the abs removal too and had no issues.

I didn't replace the gasket bud no, it was abit shagged too! But that wouldn't allow air into the braking system would it?

Which caliper did you bleed first?

I started with the right rear (if looking at the car front on) then moved over to the left hand side, but i had trouble getting any fluid out from there so I then bled the front and went back to the right rear and over to the left again which seemed to solve that problem. But the pedal was just on the floor once i'd worked my way round the car (furthest away from the master cylinder first)

Edited by Charlie28

Do it again passengers rear first then drivers rear then passengers front and finally osf

Make sure your topping up the fluid after each corner and at the beginning just top it right up not just to the max line.

If you have someone available (anyone will do) get them to sit in the car have them pump the brake pedal 3-4 times then hold it on while they hold it on undo the nipple, while they still hold it on close it again once all pressure (fluid and air) is released close it.

Only once it is closed again can they let their foot up pump the pedal and repeat until clear air free clean liquid comes through.

If you do this at all 4 corners I guarantee if there isnt a leak anywhere you will get a good pedal.

Do it again passengers rear first then drivers rear then passengers front and finally osf

Make sure your topping up the fluid after each corner and at the beginning just top it right up not just to the max line.

If you have someone available (anyone will do) get them to sit in the car have them pump the brake pedal 3-4 times then hold it on while they hold it on undo the nipple, while they still hold it on close it again once all pressure (fluid and air) is released close it.

Only once it is closed again can they let their foot up pump the pedal and repeat until clear air free clean liquid comes through.

If you do this at all 4 corners I guarantee if there isnt a leak anywhere you will get a good pedal.

I had good fresh new fluid coming out of all corners with no air bubbles.

I'll give it another shot this weekend.

• 4 weeks later...